University of Alabama Admissions for Fall 2023

Friday

1 Like

I called the school yesterday and the financial aid rep told me that the students should start looking each day up until Friday in their portals for the financial award package.

2 Likes

Yes, definately considering the EPIC Scholars Program opportunity.

It is out.

2 Likes

Do you know if the Fellows scholarships were awarded in the letters received today? Or if the Fellows were selected for Fall 2023?

My son was selected for EPIC. No scholarship for that/yet. One has to accept the spot. Consolidated letters come out in April.

1 Like

Ok thank you! I thought this was the final letter. Good to know.

Could anyone who has had a student go to Bama please let me know what they think of the size in terms of classes, registering for classes, participating in clubs? My student is coming from a small school in the Northeast (approx 1000 students), and weā€™re trying to figure if it would be a right fit. Thanks.

2 Likes

My son is in his first year in engineering. So far his biggest class is his physics lecture at 105. He has had a couple at about 90 students but most are 30-40. He was able to get all his classes of choice for first semester last summer. And he had no problems for his semester but he has a lot of AP and IB credits so has early times for scheduling. Overall, weā€™ve been happy.

2 Likes

Thank you for your input. We appreciate it.

Youā€™re welcome. I didnā€™t mention clubs. He wanted to join the robotics club but heā€™s in the marching band and it conflicted. He plans to find something in the fall that works around the times for band. There are a lot of clubs so heā€™s hoping something works out.

He also recently joined a research team. One of his professors was looking for someone to fill a spot and my son responded to the email and got it. Itā€™s in robotics, so he is very excited! Hasnā€™t done much yet, but he thinks it will be a lot of fun.

3 Likes

Sounds like your son has settled in well. Research positions are coveted in most schools, so that is great that he was chosen for the position.

Our student is visiting soon. Very excited. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

1 Like

Good question!

My son is at a small high school as well in the Mid Atlantic region. He did get into the honors college so hopefully that would help with class registration. My husband is going down next week with my son to check the campus out.

Thanks for responding. Would be eager to hear what your husband thinks after the visit,

2 Likes

@Luanne If someone is part of the honors program then are most of the intro level courses and math courses ā€œhonorsā€ courses, which are supposed to be smaller? Specifically, calc 3 and Chem 1? DS is engineering (ChemE).

My son has all his general education classes filled from AP and IB classes so Iā€™m not sure about the humanities, etc. But he did Calc 1 honors and had under 25 in his class. Honors calc had an extra project. And the tests are on paper instead of the computer. Some say that makes partial credit easier. Heā€™s in regular calc 2 and Iā€™d have to ask how many are in it. He says the computer tests allow for partial credit and he has had no issues. He chose regular for calc 2 because of the time and instructor. Honors is only offered once so it fits or it doesnā€™t.

He did the CLEP exam for chemistry so Iā€™m unsure on that.

1 Like

UA parent here. Iā€™d consider having your son do CLEP exam for his chemistry I class. Iā€™m assuming if he wants to be a CHEM E that Chem comes very easily for him. Also, if he decides to do EPIC, that is a honors program and should cover all his honors requirements so he wouldnā€™t need to take other honors classes if he didnā€™t want to/ didnā€™t fit schedule.

1 Like

Thanks.

He took Chem Hons during covid and wants to retake. My question is whether the professors are better and smaller in Chem 1/2 hons versus regular classes? For now, he is signed up for EPIC. So, it is good to know that he wonā€™t need to do additional honors classes.

It looks like regular chemistry has 200-300 students in a lecture. Honors has about 50.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if the Bama orientation fee is $80 per participantā€¦.does that mean parents are an additional $80 because they are participating as well. Also does anyone know if they have to bring their own sheets and towels when they stay in the dorm?