University of Miami Class of 2024

@Jlh0204 @Wmd818 We also can’t figure out if my son is receiving any merit money. We didn’t apply for FAFSA…I know there are a few schools that in order to receive a merit scholarship you actually need to apply for FAFSA even if you do not qualify for federal aid. But I don’t think that is the case for Miami. The strange part is that right after his message center showed his admission letter, he got a message to view his Financial Aid. The message gives him a link to click on and tells him to select “Award” from the drop down menu. The confusing thing is that when he does this, the drop down menu doesn’t have “Award” as a choice. The only selection is “Documents & Messages” and when he clicks on that the Messages section is blank and the Documents section says “Below is a list of all the items we received from you and/or still need to complete your application. Items listed as Not Received are still outstanding please submit them as soon as possible” but it is absolutely blank under that.

Is this the same for you guys? And wondering if either of you figured anything out. Just wondering if this means he didn’t receive a merit award or if we aren’t clicking on the right thing? We are going to email his region’s admissions counselor just to be sure before crossing Miami off his list (received merit money at other schools that he likes just as much.) Good luck to you and everyone else!

after being deferred letter now says no for now but “because of your interest, as a special invitation, if you take 9/10 classes next year at another accredited institution with a 3.0 or above, you will be admitted” what does that mean? he won’t have to reapply? doesn’t sound too special if it’s just a transfer. counseling says it’s not a transfer if they are telling him he is in if he meets “these conditions” it’s an admission

@emptynestpls I found my decision! I just had to log onto the mobile site and it was there in my inbox. Very poorly designed website if you ask me. I saw that I got into the honors college before even seeing that I was admitted.

Deferred EA and then waitlisted for RD.
OOS Finance Major
GPA: 4.2

SAT: 1500

@kittycat1203 we are in the exact same predicament. Did not apply for aid, same message about awards, no drop down menu listing awards. Please let us know what you find out.
Good luck!

Daughter Deferred EA, Accepted RD, Biology Major
GPA 3.8, 4.5 W
ACT 33
AICE Diploma, Science research program at HS, 6 yrs in Girl Scouts, some minor art awards
Canes Scholarship $10,000/yr
Signed up to visit but had to cancel.
Accepted: FSU w $2400/yr award, USF Honors College w $5000/yr, New College of FL w $3000/yr
Rejected: UF
We have chosen USF due to the small & nurturing Honors College. She will be getting all that a big U has to offer & the support of a smaller group also (Her issues are AHDH, Anxiety, Asperger’s).

1 Like

@kittycat1203 same thing here. Didn’t apply for aid, nothing in the awards dropdown. @FBLsMom

has anyone heard from hpm

@jhl0204 @kittykat1203 Yes, however, in my admission packet, I did not see any scholarships listed in my financial award letter. I checked my awards and I have received none. For you, however, there may still be chance, I recommend going to menu and selecting awards. It will provide a full description of you cost of aid, and loans/grants. However, for the one who’s award is not showing in the drop down menu, I recommend emailing you admissions counselor who has been emailing you throughout the admissions process, they will get back to you relatively quickly. For anyone reading, this is there any way to appeal for the scholarships? I hope to be able to afford to attend this university.

We haven’t. We haven’t heard anything related to HPM since we applied. Website says we will hear in March. I guess they want to keep up the suspense until the very last day, while people decide to to go to other schools…Anyone else hear?

Waitlisted with a 1500?

I dont think UM has an honors college - Just Foote Fellows

Crickets / Zero info on HPM since the day we pushed “Submit”

@Cjhastings322 decision still not there. Have logged into mobile site, full site about 20x each. Nothing has changed. Even cleared cookies 3x, shut down browser, etc. Nothing. No new messages since they said the application was complete (like 6 months ago). He got into UF, Pitt, UGA, UCF, Tenn, Mich State and 11 other places- so it’s not too out of reality he would have gotten accepted- but this is a little ridiculous not to have any updates 2 days following release.

@emptynestpls @islander99 You might want to email an admissions counselor. We emailed a question yesterday (Saturday), and got an answer within a couple hours.

https://admissions.miami.edu/undergraduate/about/meet-our-staff/index.html

I did. Thanks for the link. We’ll see what they say.

Thanks! I had also emailed my son’s advisor yesterday but haven’t heard back. Emailed the webmaster to ask if there could be a glitch and it didn’t update his portal. We will see if I hear back…

What does OOS mean? I am applying in the fall!

@theatrekid11 It means out-of-state. So if you’re not from Florida and you’re applying to University of Miami, you’re OOS. Many schools favor their in-state kids in admission decisions, but usually not by a wide margin. In-state kids often get better tuition assistance as well.

anybody apply to the George W Jenkins Scholarship?