University of Miami EA Class of 2025

Main difference is CSS’s use of assets in addition to income. Hopefully CSS heavily discounts business, home and retirement assets but liquid, taxable assets are fair game.

Sad to think that some colleges care more about their statical outcomes than they do about accepting and denying applicants in good faith.

I hope this is not the case with Miami. I hope that if my son switches to ED2, they’ll look at him and say ‘he really wants to go here, this gives his app a boost.’ I hope they’re not just goading him into a certain denial just to help improve their stats.

Cynical me.

2 Likes

I believe if he’s deferred from EA, switching to ED2 will show Miami that he really wants to be there and of all his options, he’s decided this is one to reach for. The others who just let the deferral ride out are going to fare worse. Doesn’t mean he’ll get in but chances are far improved.

2 Likes

By chance have you checked the Common Data Set for Miami to compare the admittance rates between RD and EDII? I have heard that EDII can sometimes be a very competitive pool, so you would just want to make sure you are hedging your best bets. Maybe his AO would be willing to discuss with you?

1 Like

@STEM2017 I completely agree. In a year like these kids have had, I would hope none of these schools are looking at their own gains.

I also think it’s a lot to ask kids to do ED given they haven’t visited campus. We hope to be able to visit a few schools this spring before deciding.

3 Likes

I just looked at the common data set and it did not break our ED1 and ED2 but the acceptance numbers were 1,564 applications for ED and 755 acceptances.

1 Like

How many more students do you think will be accepted from Regular Decision at Miami? Is there many more applicants they will be admitting?

Based on the ED numbers accepted I would guess 80% would be regular decision or about 8,000 acceptances.

Wouldn’t that number have to split between EA and RD? (and not necessarily at 50/50)? The latest CDS could offer insight. I will try and find it.

This might be a little wonky, but looking at the 2019-2020 CDS for Miami, there appears to be about 7,700+ acceptances that will be be offered between EDII and RD for the c/o 2025

The breakdown:

• In 2019-20, Miami admitted 10,557 applicants (from 38,893 applications)
  • 2,180 applicants ultimately enrolled.
  • 755 applicants were admitted in the ED and EDII cycles that same year

Consider that with the fact Miami said in its 2021 acceptance letters that they offered 2,100 EA spots (from among 44K EA applications).

So if we estimate the 19-20 ED numbers of 755 to be about the same this year, so far about a total of 2,855 applicants have been admitted so far for the class of 2025 (2,100 + 755ish)

Taking the acceptances issued in 19-20 listed above (10,557) from what we know to be so far in 2020-21 (2,100), plus adding the ED acceptances in 19-20 (755) we can guesstimate that there are still 7,702 spots or so remaining to be offered between ED II and RD in this admissions cycle.
10,557 - 2,255 = 7,702

Not sure who this may help, but one could imagine how much smaller the EDII numbers would be compared to the RD acceptance numbers. I’m sure Miami likes to balance who among the EDII’s are full payers to boot. I could be wrong about that, however.

It sure seems like the odds are better applying RD and you can show your clear, demonstrated interest by saying it is your #1 choice in your LOCI, without being locked in, should the cost not turn out to be what you would have hoped for with aid and scholarships. Just my own opinion…

4 Likes

What does LOCI mean?

Letter of Continued Interest

1 Like

do they mean they accepted 2100 ea or do they mean they accepted an undisclosed amount and plan to enroll 2100 total?

1 Like

They accepted/offered admissions to 2,100 people in EA out of the 44k applications they received in the EA cycle this year.

They should be accepting about 7,000 more students, between the RD and ED II cycles if the previous years’ numbers are an indicator. (The incoming class total of those who commit to UM will ultimately be much lower than that number of course.)

1 Like

About how many more new students apply via RD that were not EA deferrals? Any idea? And does the cds say how many of those accepted in the RD round were deferrals?

I just want to think that EA students get some bump in the RD round!

Is everybody sure this actually true? iirc the acceptance letter said 40k applicants for 2k “spots”, which made it seem like they accounted for yield so I thought that statistic was kinda misleading in that sense that it wasn’t really an acceptance rate. For instance, maybe they had accepted around 8k or so accounting for 25 percent yield idk. That’s insane if 5 percent EA acceptance is true though…

2100/44k is 1/3 of Harvard’s EA acceptance rate lmao

Yea exactly so am I misunderstanding something that he/she was saying? like it couldn’t be 2k/44k

I believe they are saying they offered 2,100 spots during EA. That is out of 44,000 total apps in all categories. I don’t think they broke out the specific number of EA apps.

1 Like

I am far from any expert. Just took some time to look at some CDS numbers and did not intend to mislead (though completely possible I misinterpreted the data.)

I don’t know if we are privy to if the number of 2.100 that Miami published on the acceptance letter issued on Friday is one that is qualified by a yield or by something else or not. However, previous CDSs show they offer acceptances to about 10,000k first-year applicants per admissions cycle annually. How it divides precisely between ED, EDII, EA and RD is not broken down within the CDS.

Here is the link for more info: https://irsa.miami.edu/_assets/pdf/cds1920.pdf