University of Scranton EA Class of 2023

When D19 and H toured the rooms, they said the views from a certain dorm were beautiful.

Thanks @njstudent2021 and @EENYMum - looking forward to visiting. Just wish they had a more details on the website like some of the other schools we have been interested in.

Financial aid award letter showed up on my son’s portal today…looks like Scranton is going to be similar COA to TCNJ for us…Just have to wait to see if St Joe’s full-tuition Dean’s Scholarship is in play for us!

Wishing good FA luck to everyone here on the thread!

@njstudent2021 TYVM for sharing! I am dumbfounded that my son got aid. I’m assuming he will get a merit offer from ‘public ivy’ similar to what his brother was offered, but the two schools are so much closer now! And the COA at his other two are now pretty much in line with U of S. It’s a horse race now.

Hmm, Dd just said they offered her around $32,000 a year, looks like we need to pay a visit, this brings the COA just below UDel (out of state) and Quinnipiac. Waiting on financials for Villanova, but they aren’t going to be nearly as generous. All of her schools have good PT programs, excited to see where she lands.

Congrats @Sparcky and @Mjkacmom…seems like you both have excellent kids!

Thanks! My ds20 goes to TCNJ and loves it, but Greek life is big there for parties (he is a junior and lives at one of his frat houses). My oldest went to Rutgers.

@Mjkacmom & @Sparcky fantastic news!!

I can’t get into the portal - did anyone else have trouble? The link in the emails is returning an error message

@2023collbound I don’t go on his portal but I know he had no trouble going on on Monday when I asked him to check the financial aid award status.

Looks like several of us will be attending Royal Day on 2/18! It is my understanding that a portion of the day will be spent separate from our son. Does anyone have any past experience with this? What do parents do during that time? FYI - we are arriving the night before and staying at the Radisson, if anyone else is around!

@JKrazney2 there is a parent schedule that you can download from the University of Scranton website…search for Royal Days. Basically we are up in the ballroom (4th floor DeNaples Center)…there will be numerous reps talking about Costs/Financial Aid (very popular discussion…lol), ROI, Campus life, study abroad… basically rolling out the red carpet… Krispy Kreme donuts and coffee in the morning followed by a very nice lunch with reps from our children’s specific college (CAS, KSOM, PCPS)…I believe that’s the plan…also a chance to take a campus tour afterwards if you want.

How are Royal Days different from Accepted Students Day?

Not sure @northjerseymama we didn’t do the Accepted Students Day with my DD because she was on her HS senior class trip

@northjerseymama We opted to attend the Royal Day for two reasons - my son is very undecided and I think more visits will help with the decision making process (we may well go to Accepted Student Day as well!). Also, I liked that at Royal Day, he had time on his own with another student to go to class and lunch, etc. I feel like he might benefit from that experience. Our first (and only visit) to Scranton was during the summer when there were no students on campus. My son loved it, but I want him to get a fuller experience of the school to see if it would be a good fit.

Just wondering if anyone has received anything regarding Presidential Scholarships yet? @sparcky @Mjkacmom I would think your kids would be under consideration based on stats?

@njstudent2021 I thought they were awarded at acceptance?

@njstudent2021 So I just found this info which says early February. I didn’t realize that they are named later. It’s hard to guess how it will play out - but not too much longer to wait!

Presidential Scholarship
These merit-based, full-tuition scholarships are awarded for exemplary academic achievement to a limited number of qualified students in early February. Presidential scholars are typically in the top 2% of their class, have an SAT score of 1450 or 32 ACT (Composite score), a GPA of 3.9 or higher (on a 4.0 scale), and have demonstrated leadership and community service

Hmm, Dd just received the Deans scholarship and Xavier grant, I didn’t realize there could be more. At this point, Villanova is out, just too expensive. She is marking her calendar for accepted students days, I think Scranton is definitely on the list.
V

Why pick Scranton over TCNJ??? If you’re in state N.J. tcnj is by far the better deal. If you pull a tick under the minimum gpa at Scranton they will pull the scholarship/discount