University of Scranton EA Class of 2023

@njdadjets Your above statement may be your opinion, but doesn’t ring true for many of us. My DD is currently attending the University of Scranton for less than it would have cost for her to stay in-state at TCNJ. Also, TCNJ doesn’t offer a 5 yr MSOT degree like the University of Scranton. What about the value of a Jesuit education? There are more factors in determining each person’s value of their college education than strictly sticker price…and that’s not taking anything away from TCNJ (which my DS is strongly considering), because it is an incredible value for us New Jerseyans. However, please do not make blanket statements implying that the University of Scranton is inferior to TCNJ or any other state public school, because that is merely your opinion and not shared by many of us on this thread. The University of Scranton is an amazing college that embodies Cura Personalis!

Didn’t say it was inferior, but I stand by the position that for in-state NJ undergrad nursing TCNJ, and Stockton and Ramapo for that matter —- are far and away better deals for the money than Scranton for lots of reasons

@njdadjets You are entitled to your opinion. However, I couldn’t disagree more when it comes to the value of a Jesuit education that Scranton provides… especially for nursing! But hey, to each his own. Best of luck to your S at TCNJ! (Who knows maybe my DS will be joining him there in the Fall)

Scranton is on our DD’s shortlist of Nursing programs too. It comes highly recommended by many Dr.s and Nurses we spoke to here in Bergen county NJ

My 20 year old is at TCNJ, no merit so it costs more than it will cost D to go to Scranton. Because she want to go the DPT route, Scranton is a better option than TCNJ. My oldest graduated from Rutgers, D doesn’t like Rutgers, even though her sister loved it.

My son is in his first year in Scranton nursing school and doing fine. He loves the school too. It was the right choice for him. We also looked at tcnj and really did love the school but we both felt it was a bit of a “weed out “ program. The program at Scranton seems to be more of supportive environment rather than competitive.

@profile/bonojd, ty for that great Nursing program feedback !

Did anyone go to yesterday’s Royal Day and have any feedback?

Anyone heading to Royal day tomorrow? On our way now. Restaurant suggestions welcome ?

@EENYMum We are on our way up to Scranton as well! Many of Scranton’s fine restaurants are unfortunately closed on Sunday. If you are either a seafood lover or a fan of The Office, then, Coopers is a good choice (no reservations needed). My family has chosen to go to Casa Bella (a great little Italian restaurant)…hope everyone enjoys Royal Day tomorrow!

Thanks @njstudent2021 Looking forward to tomorrow!

Great day at Scranton today! So hope we can make it happen. Bought a lottery ticket on the way home :slight_smile:

@EENYMum It really was a nice day! DS sat in on an accounting class and loved it! We ate lunch together as a family (Inc DD) on the 3rd floor. The news got even better for us when we got home and found out that DD had been selected for RA next year!!! #AwesomeDay

@EENYMum I hope you got a winning lotto ticket btw! :slight_smile:

@njstudent2021 wow…that is awesome news indeed!!. Curious only because I saw the question come up elsewhere…does being an RA impact aid/ scholarships?

@EENYMum I’m not sure of the RA impact. Happy belated birthday btw! Has your D started to narrow down her list of potential schools yet?

@njstudent2021 She has narrowed down list but we are in the financial reality doldrums. Schools at top of her list are all private with the exception of one SUNY. We could afford the SUNY with cutting back. The privates we would have to become extreme couponers, thrift store purchasers, water only drinkers, no cable/interent etc people ? and even then she would have to co sign some loans for her which we are hoping to avoid. She still has two RD she is waiting on and one of the schools is a reach and if accepted wouldl be added to top of the list. Sigh. Scranton is still high on her list. Had a great Royal day! Made friends and they exchanged info. Where is your son at in the process?

@EENYMum My S is deciding between Scranton and TCNJ…should have a decision soon:)

We are headed to Scranton on Sunday for Monday’s Royal Day. We haven’t visited yet, and Scranton is in her top 3 (along with UDel and Quinnipiac). Villanova was #1 but offered no scholarships, the others were very generous. My other older children attended Rutgers and TCNJ.

@Mjkacmom I’m so excited for you and your D to visit the campus, especially seeing Leahy Hall for the first time :slight_smile: