Update on the waitlist

<p>My son’s friend called admissions and was told she will not hear waitlist decision now until very end of June. Anyone hear different? Also, how are you notified?</p>

<p>I just sent a not so nice message to the UW Admissions about this. To me this time lag is getting unacceptable and I told them so. A chirpy post on the UW Facebook page for admissions regarding the Farmer’s Market pretty much frosted me. Get the job done and then you can write about the Farmer’s Market.</p>

<p>I have never received any email from UW Madison after I was placed on the wait list…</p>

<p>Well, I was not impressed with their see page 11 of the policy answer and I let them know that in no uncertain terms. I guess I might not be getting to do the college fairs next Fall. Oh well. My legs are getting a little old for that 7 hours of standing anyway.</p>

<p>barrons: Do you think this suggests there is to be a lot of wait list activity this summer?</p>

<p>I have no clue on that. Right now it is very opaque. Maybe they were waiting on the budget to shakeout. I told them what I thought but I don’t think they care much.
I told them they were acting like a bad airline that never gives stuck passengers updates on their late flights. They have not given any official updates since 4/27. Too long IMHO.
I don’t blame anyone here waiting to hear and getting ticked off about the timing.</p>

<p>barrons, thanks so much for advocating for us parents and students waiting to hear some more specifics. I agree that even an update from UW that UW is still undecided if turning to waitlist, numbers on waitlist and if they do turn to waitlist how they plan to notify students would have been very helpful. My son will be away from home all summer. Hope you don’t lose your position doing the college fairs.</p>

<p>Is this all that unusual for the UW waitlist?
we have a friend’s daughter who was waitlisted in 2008, started orientation in August at a NE university and was called off the waitlist by UW literally the last day of orientation…she ended up deferring to spring at UW and transferring from her current university…</p>

<p>In a year where the wait list is used extensively this should not be surprising. “Summer melt” happens all summer as students here and there inform a school that they will not be coming for whatever reason. These spots would be filled ASAP by the admissions office and very late notice in these cases is beyond their control.</p>

<p>However a general picture of the wait situation (and updates) probably ought to have been communicated to the public by now.</p>

<p>Great news!! My son got accepted to Madison yesterday afternoon. He received a call from his admission counselor who offered him a spot for this Fall. It has been a long haul and we are so very happy for him. Barron, I can’t help but think your pushing them to move on the waitlist sooner than later had something to do with this. Thank-you for all of your support. I wish the best for others still waiting and hope you will have your answer soon.</p>

<p>Congrats to you and your son !!</p>

<p>I called UW today and they told me that they would be taking “a select few” off of the waitlist? Bad sign if I haven’t gotten a call yet? How many people do you guys think are on the waitlist this year?</p>

<p>Did you guys get any emails after you were placed on the waitlist? I never was contacted for UW after I got my admission decision, ever. I did accept a place on the WL though.</p>

<p>No e-mails or any contact from UW until admission’s counselor called to offer him a position from the waitlist.</p>

<p>would you mind posting your sons stats?</p>

<p>He had a 3.89 GPA, 29 ACT, several APs and honors courses, consistently good grades all 4 years-(mostly A’s-few B’s), junior year- Calc 1 at local college through PSEO, Spring semester studying in Israel junior year through AMHSI Program, National Honor Society, Pathfinders-at school, lots of community volunteer hours, staff in training at a 9 week overnight camp and following summer as a junior camp counselor and part time song leader, Football only in 9th grade and Tennis team senior year, Explorers in Medicine program. Nominated 3 years in a row by 3 different teachers to go to national Leadership Conference in Washington DC-did not go due to camp. Those are the highlights-hope that helps. Just a even well rounded kid. Best of luck to you.</p>

<p>I’m going to just come out and say this now because I’m done with this feed. I find it completely pathetic how many overly obsessed helicopter parents are on this blog. You people are sick in the head. If your kid wants to blog about their college experience or where they want to go to college, let them. Why do you feel the need to spend countless hours blogging? I guess at the end of the day it’s your choice but it seems pathetic to a lot of people.</p>

<p>Hope you feel better MNBadger. Thanks for your contribution to the discussion…</p>

<p>Sounds like some displaced anger going on with MNBADGER2011.</p>

<p>Waitlist has closed. Probably not too many slots left this year.</p>

<p>[News:</a> Waitlist Closed - Office of Admissions at the University of Wisconsin-Madison](<a href=“http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/news/waitList.php]News:”>http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/news/waitList.php)</p>