***USC Class of 2021 Discussion/Results Thread***

To keep this all in perspective, you may want to review or re-review this excellent article that came out recently…

https://tfm.usc.edu/a-guide-to-uscs-college-admissions-process/

It is entitled “An Insider’s Look at USC College Admissions” and it provides a lot of valuable info.

And the USC Admission Officers quoted within it truly do emphasize that it is not all stats driven. In fact, they ended up rejecting 3,000 people with 99th percentile test scores last year. They also had to reject the vast majority of legacy applicants. There simply is not enough room. Remember, only 9K or so of the 55K+ applicants can even be admitted.

I for one am thankful that it is a more holistic approach that looks at it all… course load, gpa, rank, ECs, ethnicity/diversity, potential hooks, essays, resume… and yes - also test scores.

Three years ago, we were shocked when my daughter faced 12 rejections and only 5 admissions. In retrospect, I am thankful we let her apply to 17. Her stats and total application packet could easily have qualified her for admission at all of the elite schools that ended up rejecting her… but the reality that came to pass also showed that far too many apply… meaning that 1000s of well-qualified and well-deserving applicants had to also be passed over. She was among those passed over at the majority of those elite schools she applied to. Thankfully, USC admitted her, and she is a very thankful, happy and content junior there now.

None of this is an indictment or judgment on merit, ability or qualifications… so do not take it that way. I am just hopeful that all of this year’s applicants will find admission to at least one quality school where they can thrive and advance.

Good Luck…

@jjmama No, he did not get the Dean’s nor was it in the letter. He later received the NMSF Presidential scholarship. So, I think technically, you can get the acceptance packet but not be considered for the scholarship interview. The Admission office may have sent the acceptance packet to my S knowing that he is a NMSF (who would likely become NMF).

They have never mentioned deans in this go round but it is what people get if there is no mention of schiolarship unless they are upgraded to NMF at some point. But they are not eligible to interview for bigger one.

bump

@CADREAMIN I see, so you are saying that if a student is accepted now but without being considered for the full or half scholarship, she/he will automatically get the Dean’s scholarship. I did not know that since there was no mention of Dean’s scholarship anywhere in the acceptance packet.

Exactly right! Every year the same questions come up. I think it has to do with being the only group that doesn’t interview for other one. Just a guess.

What type of package is it? Does it say first class or parcel or what does it say ?

@Anamgol Thanks for your posts related to NMSF/NMF at USC.

So when the portal updates, what exactly will it look like? I’ve seen the wording of the letters, but how will the portal appear upon logging in? I’ll likely see that before anything coming gets to me in the mail, if I hopefully have something coming haha.

LA applicant here, got mail but nothing from USC :frowning:

i just received mine!!! i was studying for finals (such a bad time to have finals to be honest) right on my porch and the mailman through the white package onto the doormat!! around 3:30 PM
presidential scholarship

@callmegray Awesome dude! Mind letting us know how far you are from usc? Are you Norcal, socal?

Please replace the “[a” below with just “[” before posting.

[asize=4][acolor=#FFA500]Decision: Rejected for Scholarship [/Orange][/size]

Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): NA
ACT (breakdown):35
SAT II: Math II - 780 and BIO 800
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): School doesn’t rank (top 10)
AP (place score in parenthesis): Human Geography, BIO, Phy, Lang&Comp, APUSH, CALC BC, Chem all 5
IB (place score in parenthesis):
Senior Year Course Load: PhyC, Lit.,Macro,BC,Work Hist,Env Science CS (all AP)
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Aca Deca - Dist
College course:- Intro to chemistry, Intor Psych, Intro. to Anthropology, Human Geography, Violin, Intro to Bio technology and C++
Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Intern in BIO tech company, Intern Free Clinic, Founder of 3D print club, VP Model UN and Aca Deca.
Job/Work Experience:Tutor, Worked in Bio tech company(winter)
Volunteer/Community service: Free clinic
Summer Activities: Bridge to Bio tech, Intern Bio Tech
Essays (rating 1-10, details): 7
Recommendations (rating 1-10, details): didn’t read 7

Teacher Rec #1:7
Teacher Rec #2:7
Counselor Rec:7
Additional Rec:none
Interview:None

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: yes
Intended Major:Bio Tech
State (if domestic applicant): CA
Country (if international applicant):
School Type:Public
Ethnicity: Asian Indian
Income Bracket: Too high
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): Un hook. Asian India (worst category Next to Asian Chinese Male)

Reflection:- Essay could have been better

Strengths: ACT, GPA
Weaknesses: No awards
Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected:Not a Star. See in March. May be not. Tution is too high
Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected:None

It is a first class magazine sized rigid package. Last year it was white. We are in LA, but did not get it until Saturday morning. It was exactly one year today as my DD got it. It was her first college acceptance and I remember how we did a happy dance around the house. Good luck everyone!

THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN FOR YET, but,

People that receive scholarships portals update to look like this:

Admission
Admission Decision
Enrollment Commitment Deposit
Withdraw Your Application
Submit Documents
Financial Aid

Apply for Financial Aid
Financial Aid Summary & Tasks (FAST) page
On-Campus Admitted Student Programs

Explore USC
Preview USC
Admitted Student Day
Campus tours
Off-Campus Admitted Student Programs

Apply for Housing

Portal also updates for those that did not receive a scholarship saying there is a new message that will be a letter saying that they are still being considered and have to wait till March, but no $$$.

@Swiper902 Oh sorry I forgot to say.
Orange County, about 1hr 19 mins from usc according to google

@callmegray wait do you interview for presidential or you were given presidential?

Looks like Norcal is tomorrow. I’ve taken too many rejections (colleges and personal matters) it would be nice to have 1 acceptance.

Will NY likely receive mail Thursday?

I was thinking thursday or friday for alabama (if i were to get it, which i an def not expecting)