***USC Class of 2021 Discussion/Results Thread***

Has anyone in New Hampshire received anything yet?

Got the white box here in north carolina!

Anyone in Texas get one? Dallas area in particular?

Can’t tell if the mail hasn’t come or I simply didn’t get it, but so far nothing here in the Panhandle of Florida :frowning:

If you got the white box, has your portal been updated?

Just got Trustee in NYC!!! My portal has not been updated. Also, has anyone made a fb page or groupme for accepted students?

Yes, My D received the white shiny package yesterday with formal certificate of admission and the presidential finalist offer. The package included 3 brochures explaining next steps. My D, she was very excited and happy to see that package. I wish you all have good result. living in OC, California
Flag Like Helpful Reply Share on Facebook

Finalist for the Trustee’s full tuition scholarship! (norcal)

How prestigious/common is this scholarship?

Nothing in PA, but a voicemail about DHL delivery tomorrow. Anyone in the same situation? Or know anything about it?

**Decision: Accepted **

Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): N/A
ACT (breakdown): 33 Composite, 34 super scored, 10/12 writing
SAT II: Didn’t submit
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.66
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): N/A
AP (place score in parenthesis): U.S. History (5), U.S. Gov (5), English Lit (4), AB Calc (4), Euro (4)
IB (place score in parenthesis): SL Math (6), SL Chem (4 - Didn’t submit)
Senior Year Course Load:
IB TOK
IB HL Spanish 6
IB HL English
AP Econ (Macro and Micro)
IB HL History
IB SL Anthropology
AP BC Calc

Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.):
-C-SPAN StudentCam (National Award - made three documentaries that aired on C-SPAN)
-#1 PF Debate team in my 3 state region
-Recognized by my state’s Senate for achievements in humanities (made a website on the cultural reaction to the atomic bomb in U.S.)
-State Balance Beam champion

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis):
Debate (Captain)
Model Congress (President)
Gymnastics

Job/Work Experience:
Worked at an art studio for 1.5 yrs.
Worked at the thrift shop for 1 yr.

Volunteer/Community service:
Interned at a local T.V. Station - learned to direct a live T.V. program

Summer Activities:
StarTalk Swahili (NSA language learning program)
Worked as a camp counselor
Girls Who Code

Essays (rating 1-10, details): Basically I just wrote about all the programs I wanted to participate in there. I said I loved that I could find a fusion of public policy studies and communications. Then I talked about my experience in those areas.

Recommendations (rating 1-10, details):

Teacher Rec #1: He likes me enough to have offered to write a rec w/out me asking, so probably good.
Teacher Rec #2: She likes me, but I’m also just another good student.
Counselor Rec: He’s fond of me, but it was probably generic.
Additional Rec: Nope.
Interview: Scheduled one, had to cancel a few days before, never rescheduled. Didn’t appear to make a difference.

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
Intended Major: International Relations and English
State (if domestic applicant): MD
Country (if international applicant):
School Type: Public
Ethnicity: White
Income Bracket: 200k
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): Nope.

Reflection

Strengths: Awards, ACT, Extracurriculars, teacher rec,
Weaknesses: No SAT II, lowish GPA, cancelled interview
Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: I think my ACT made up for my GPA, and I have a number of major awards.

Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected:

Accepted: U. of Pittsburg, UMass Amherst, U. of Illinois
Deferred: Princeton
Rejected: None yet.

General Comments: I was also a finalist for the Presidential Scholarship (1/2 tuition) but I don’t know if I got it yet.

Nothing in the Seattle area in today’s mail but we were only moderately confident. However, last month it whole week for a letters in downtown Seattle to get to our house in a suburb 15 minutes away, so I will hold out a sliver of hope until tomorrow unless the portal changes tonight.

**Decision: Accepted **

Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): Math 800 (old test), Writing 800 (old test), Reading 740 (old test), Reading 790 (new test)
ACT (breakdown):
SAT II: Math II 770, Bio 800, Chem 750
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.0
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): N/A
AP (place score in parenthesis): N/A
IB (place score in parenthesis): N/A
Senior Year Course Load: School offers Advanced courses, I currently take 4 (maximum possible)
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): National Merit Semifinalist

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Mock Trial, Research in a laboratory at the University of Pennsylvania, feminist club at my school, Science Core Team, Math Lab tutor, Varsity softball, JV tennis
Job/Work Experience: Internship in laboratory at UPenn, math tutor
Volunteer/Community service: only through my school
Summer Activities: UPenn neuroscience work with zebrafish
Essays (rating 1-10, details): 9, I talked about my love for literature for the first and for the second I gave specific courses I wanted to take, labs I wanted to work in, etc
Recommendations (rating 1-10, details):

Teacher Rec #1: 10
Teacher Rec #2: 10
Counselor Rec: 9
Additional Rec: 8 (From the principal investigator of the lab I worked in)
Interview: N/A

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: No
Intended Major: Neuroscience
State (if domestic applicant): PA
Country (if international applicant):
School Type: Private, Quaker
Ethnicity: White
Income Bracket: >250k
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): None

Reflection

Strengths: Essays, laboratory experience, rec letters, grades
Weaknesses: no leadership, no awards besides national merit
Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: See strengths
Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected:
Princeton: deferred

General Comments : I am a finalist for a Presidential scholarship (half tuition)

Just got my box in the mail today! Accepted to the Viterbi School of Engineering for Computer Science and President’s Scholarship finalist. My portal did not show the update when I checked today, so the box was a surprise.

Just what USC intends. ^^^

My DD is an NMSF. When she applied, she called out she is an NMSF and answered ‘No’ to the question of whether she has marked USC as her college choice in NMS (she has not specified any college yet). She didn’t get the white box in the mail today. Does that mean she is denied for admission, and might her answer have contributed to the decision? Has anyone been an NMSF, not gotten scholarship interview but received admission later in March? I worry that she is not accepted. I am an alum, so a bit sad.

@littleoleme I’m fairly certain USC has released the stats on how many scholarships they give out, so you should be able to go find out how common it is on your site. As I don’t feel like checking, I’m going to assume that as it’s full tuition it’s incredibly prestigious and very rare.

EDIT: checked anyway lol, 100 Trustee scholarships. http://admission.usc.edu/docs/Scholarships.pdf

Portals will be updated tomorrow, correct?

@Mom22DDs If your daughter is admitted in March she will receive half tuition assuming she is a NMF.

Which cities in NorCal did people already start getting the packages? Dang…all this waiting makes me nervous :confused:

@Mom22DDs can u look at post #995 a few pages back? I answered the NMF question. I am out at lunch so it is easier to refer you back there! All is good she can still get in!

@masalvada123 - if an NMSF did not get white box now, will they even be considered further? I suspect not. I’ve told my daughter she is rejected at USC, and it will be a pleasant surprise if she does get admitted in March.