***USC Class of 2021 Discussion/Results Thread***

This is my understanding as well. Any notification that you are a merit scholarship finalist (being invited to interview) is tantamount to being accepted - even if they do not formerly say so. Absent that, I suspect that it will be late March (a very long wait) for all other USC applicants. It is a shame that there is no early action or early decision offering available thru USC. My daughter is equally stressed about the excruciating wait til March. She is an SCA applicant.

Parent reading this thread for the first time and now inferring (probably incorrectly) that if you are NMF you are automatically accepted to the university? That can’t be right? Surely you have to get accepted but then if you are you get half tuition automatically. Can someone clarify? Thank you.

NMFs are not automatically admitted, but if you are, you get the half tuition scholarship plus the $1000/yr NMF scholarship.

Anyone know if indicating pre professional interest has any weight for decisions?
First choice major Economics
Second choice major in Health and Humanity
Pre professional emphasis in PrePharmacy
Hoping to do the Progressive Degree program go get a MS in pharmaceutical economics

Thank you @18yrcollegemin does that mean everyone waits until March/April for admissions decision?

No, my son received a letter informing him he’d gotten the Presidential NMF scholarship in January. Some receive the news in January, others don’t hear until March/April.

@marg928 Hi! Where did the email say to update grades? Through common app or the youSC portal? i have my first quarter grades but I’m not sure if I should wait until the second quarter is over to submit grades because other schools are in semesters

@camillepowers I had the same question, but admissions ultimately told me to submit first quarter grades through the portal for scholarship consideration and then have my school send a mid year report later on.

@CheekyNandos hmm ok, thanks!

@ZBlue17 Hmm, any changes to your portal yet? Mine still hasn’t changed :frowning:

@kbn2015 still no update either

@camillepowers I submitted my D’s first quarter grades through the portal.

@foodnetwork Nope, didn’t do an interview. Not sure how I’d rate my application? I think I’m pretty solid. :slight_smile:
And because WHOA, a fellow journalism kid, are you more interested in print or broadcast? :smiley:

@mintchipmagic I’m not sure yet! I really like both, so I kinda want to narrow it down… how about you?

@foodnetwork I’m sure you’ll have plenty of time to narrow it down in college (and also, if you end up working for a digital platform, maybe you’ll get to do both!!)!
I totally feel you on that, though. I’m leaning towards broadcast a bit because I’m a very visual thinker and I like getting to engage my creative side when telling a story, but print is always fun!

DD submitted 12/1, can see all went through via Common App, and I can see my credit card was charged, but no portal link yet either. It’s not in spam. So just the emails that common app and writing supplement so far. At what point do we call admissions? Tried setting up youSC ourselves but just the bike rider, no “application status” button we could find.

Repeating my earlier post since question has come up several times since original post:

Those receiving scholarships will hear the results in later January. Last year it was January 25th… If you do not get a scholarship, you will hear at end of March. Last year it was March 25th. Keep in mind that in total about 55,000 apply and admission is granted to 9,000 of which 3000 actually attend (rounding here).

They give approximately 600-700 scholarships (depends if NMS are included in the Presidential total or not, some believe they are…). Majority of scholarships are 1/4 or 1/2 of tuition, about 100 are full tuition, and scholarships are based on tuition, not COA. So it has been speculated that around 1200-1500 hear they got a scholarship/accepted at the first notification in late January. They offer more scholarships than they give because obviously some won’t attend. Bottom line is, of the 55,000 applying, less than 2K will actually hear anything in late January. Some Dean’s scholarships 1/4 are sent later in March. Be hopeful, but prepared to hear later - you won’t lose your mind that way. If you do not hear about a scholarship in January, you will receive a letter within a week saying you are still being considered for admission and will be notified of the decision in March.

Also, if you follow CC, it will seem that everyone and their brother gets a scholarship and is admitted in the early window except you (because a lot of top students tend to follow this when notifications come out). The above numbers tell you that is not true. The vast majority do not hear until March. So be prepared to hang for awhile, it’s an emotional process for many but a fantastic school for those fortunate enough to get in and attend! Good luck to all!

Sorry if this is the wrong place, but would anyone mind chancing me for scholarship consideration/admission. Thank you!

ACT (breakdown): 35 (35M, 35S, 36R, 35E, 10W)
SAT II: 800 on Math II
Weighted GPA (out of 100): 96.5 (Roughly a 3.75 UW but our school doesn’t report) - Have an upward trend from sophmore year. Easily the weakest part of my application.

AP (place score in parenthesis): 5 Stats, 4 US History, 4 World, 3 Physics 1 (Not great, I know)

Senior Year Course Load: 7 AP’s
Senior Year Grades: 5 A+'s 2 A’s (Sent to USC)

Will take a total of 12 AP’s by the end of high school.

Major Awards: NSDA Academic All American, NSDA All State, NSDA Outstanding Distinction Merit, AP Scholar with Honor, NHS Inductee

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): I’ll list exactly what I put on the Common App

1. Speech and Debate (PF Captain) - Ranked in the top 30 in the nation, Placed in the top 35 at NSDA Nationals, 2 time national qualifier, Tournament of Champions qualifier (This isn’t on my app since I submitted early though - should I send an update?)
  1. Philosophy Club (Founder and President) - Organized multiple college professors to come and speak at our meetings.
  2. Tutoring Company (Founder) - Don't want to be too specific but I founded my own tutoring company for a specific skill. I go much more in depth on the actual application.
  3. Symphony Orchestra Club (President and Inventory Manager) - Selected for all county orchestra, Only high schooler in a local undergraduate orchestra, All state examination excellency.
  4. International volunteer at a charity orphanage - Organized a fundraiser that raised about $3,500, went each summer for the last 4 years.
  5. Intern at a local law firm (My ultimate career goal).
  6. Omitted for privacy reasons - but it was another debate activity in which I earned national recognition and scholarship money.
  7. Board member and research analyst for an Ivy League financial club - Don't want to say which school for privacy reasons.
  8. Summer volunteer at a hospital - Assisted nurses in answering phones, recording patient information, and working the front desk.
  9. DECA Business Club - 3rd place in the state competition, International qualifier.

Intended Major: Philosophy, Politics and Law
State: NJ
School Type: Public
Ethnicity: White
Income Bracket: Too much for FA

Is anybody applying to Viterbi? I am applying as a domestic applicant from India. USC is my top choice for computer science/business administration, but I have a 30 on ACT math. Do you think taking the math 2 subject test can offset the low act score?

Oh no, has anyone not gotten an invite to the portal yet?