UVA EA 2026 thread

It is hardly a slam dunk to get into KF. Average GPA last year was a 3.7 and diversity plays a strong role in determining who gets in (also true at UVA). Many highly qualified kids get rejected at KF every year. You need a plan B if you are going there for business.

I got into UNC KF assured admit and UVA with echols. However, I have a 4-year full tuition scholarship from another T10 b-school. Does UVA match scholarship offer from another school? I really like UVA.

Absolutely. No doubt about that. D has done a ton of research, and basically determined it is EASIER to get into KF than McIntire (for various reasons), but still not enough to be comfortable. Good thing is that fallback is still being at an amazing university.

2 Likes

RD results come out Friday

does anyone know what time they will be released?

From their Admissions Blog: The decisions will get posted all at once to portals after office hours.
They typically post “after school” so kids can be at home when they get the results. Guessing 5pm

UVA Blog posted stats from Regular Decision round earlier today. If you are an OOS EA applicant and were deferred to RD, only 83 of the 4630 students were offered admission.

Plus the 500 or so ED deferred. Math isn’t in your favor.

Not sure why they even bother deferring kids it’s like 2% or less

2 Likes

Agreed, my DD applied OOS, but praying for her inner peace and happiness during and after decisions are released. When this is all said and done, I definently will reflect as a parent. “In my day” your stats would typically get you into many choice schools. The larger applicant pools these past few years have completely shifted everything we know about this process. Even some GC’s are at a lost for words. I wish the best for all applicants, and parents take a deep breath in. Keep advocating and uplifting your child(ren).

5 Likes

It isn’t genuine, especially if they are asking for Fall grades and update. It simply is one shot on goal.

2 Likes

I don’t have the numbers in front of me, but from what I can recall from the UVA admissions blog postings, it looks like the numbers have taken a nose dive since UVA reintroduced early decision, which also coincided with a spike in applications after going test optional. I think these factors have significantly changed the landscape for admissions and perhaps the admissions team has not fully adapted its admissions process to account for the changed environment.

In any event, giving hope to thousands of great kids when there was none is a difficult pill to swallow.

8 Likes

When I applied to college years ago, it was very predictable where my friends and I would and wouldn’t get in. I have twins and am so happy my family will never have to go through the current college application process again. This process has all been so disappointing for my daughter after working so hard and excelling. Best of luck to everyone.

4 Likes

Exactly. You didn’t apply to schools where you pretty much knew you weren’t going to get admitted. Now it’s a crapshoot.

2 Likes

ugh, these poor kids. had mentally prepared OOS DD that UVA would be a toss up this year.
I do appreciate the transparency, it is a little odd b/c historically, UVA does not use deferrals as a soft “no” like other schools. So such a low admit rate is rough.
I think the awesome Dean of Admissions also stated in her updates that the WL will be shorter this year - not sure what that actually means. The only question I have is whether that 4,630 is the total number that were deferred and does not take into account deferred students who withdrew their applications after being deferred. Was that clarified?

1 Like

4630 is the number of OOS deferred from EA (there were roughly 500 additional during the ED round). They did not provide numbers of those who withdrew after being deferred.

1 Like

Agreed on this. Deferral was not seen as a soft no for UVA traditionally. The rates for deferral acceptance in the 3 previous years have declined 12%-8%-4% and this year half to less than half of last year’s. So for the few thousand who were deferred, it is a soft no even if that isn’t UVA’s intent.

2 Likes

In state applicants for the college of arts and sciences will still have the uva wise option if waitlisted. We will celebrate a waitlist offer (fingers crossed) like an acceptance in my house tonight. I think my daughter would probably take that offer.

6 Likes

They should have just sent rejections to these kids. As the parent of a recent UVA graduate and a current deferred applicant, I am extremely disappointed in UVA for the way they handled admissions this year. The ED option has changed everything. Admissions is never a sure thing at schools like UVA, but they should be more honest about what deferment really means. 83 out of 4,600? Well, I guess next year’s applicants will know that an OOS deferment means a no. I would have advised my D to withdraw her application.

8 Likes

The bigger disappointment is they told kids they get rolled to Regular Decision, Based on the stats - that appears to be a complete fallacy. Do they even look at their Fall updates submitted? Can’t be if they are taking 83 out of 5000 when you compare that Deferral Group to the RD pool. You can’t tell me that the deferred ED and EA applicants are not better comparable to RD that just 83 students.

7 Likes