Virginia Tech Fall 2023 Waitlist

@VTAdmissionsOfficial If our waitlisted child still has the “Non-Degree and Agricultural Technology Application Management” heading in their portal do they need to send an email again or is that glitch still being worked on? Thank you in advance!

It is still being worked on - it isn’t something that we have control over as it appears to be a URL re-direct issue on certain browsers, particularly on Apple products. We’re in touch with the appropriate folks to solve the issue. Please have your student log out, clear cache, and potentially try a new browser if it still occurs when accessing the portal link directly.

4 Likes

Anyone know when regular decisions are out and what the acceptance rate is for RD?

Do the students need to call or email admissions if they continue to see the agriculture page or are they “all set” if they have the green banner that says that they updated their status on “x” day/time? Thanks.

1 Like

No need to contact admissions about it - we are aware and actively working toward a solution. As long as they can see what you are describing after a form submission or viewing their submitted response, then their response has been recorded appropriately.

3 Likes

Per USNews website:
Virginia Tech admissions is selective with an acceptance rate of 56% and an early acceptance rate of 64.3%.

No idea when that data is from and to know what acceptance rate for RD is you would need to know application counts by type - but ultimately the RD acceptance rate is “less” than EA - which seems pretty consistent with most schools.

Just an FYI we just did an info session and they said they had 48,000 applicants this year. Also not sure I would recommend taking your waitlisted kid here to find out they love it in person.

Forbidden Fruit… :slight_smile:
Kind of need to do it though if it’s a serious consideration unless someone lives close enough that they’re able to get the call off the waitlist and make a decision within a couple of days.

2 Likes

Any thoughts on when RD comes out? I would have guessed tomorrow :woman_shrugging:t2:

How much of an increase over last year?

45,238 applications last year.

Yes he said 46,000 to 48,000

1 Like

Do WL applicants need to submit a LOCI? Anything they can do to help get off the WL? My kid hasn’t toured and wondering if we should go visit during spring break just in case they get off the WL and are only given a few days to decide. We live in northern Virginia.

1 Like

If you went in and clicked off the option to be put on the WL, that is all you should need to do. There is some debate about sending a specific LOCI to your Admissions Counselor but the FAQ specifically states not to do that. Personally I’m taking that at face value and submitting a LOCI will either get you nothing or potentially be a negative.

Getting off the WL will depend on their actual uptake on admittance by program and other admissions criteria. From the sounds of it most WL letters give a pretty short runway to make a decision. You’re pretty local to them already so provided you have the flexibility to get down there on short notice - if it were me - I’d probably just wait to see if I get the WL offer and go visit at that point.

2 Likes

Thanks for your response. It makes sense to wait and see.

2 Likes

We struggled with this when we visited this week. I was tempted to have him try to talk to admissions person but they say no personal visits so we opted not to.

3 Likes

what’s the guidance on housing for waitlist students, especially if the decision time is short?

1 Like

should be moving on/signing up with another school, honestly. I can’t see waiting for VT and hope they make a waitlist move in time for you by 5/1. Housing would be on an as-available basis at the time of their WL move.

1 Like

Great decision! Did your future Hokie like the campus and the vibe? Note: My daughter is a current Hokie Freshman, engineering major…interest in Aerospace Engineering.

I think you are right about moving on. The waiting and hoping isn’t a great feeling. So we are approaching it as “not likely” and if it happens we will deal with the options at that point. My daughter is in the same position (on the WL for VT) and she is probably going to accept the offer at Tulane. We are visiting over spring break and they have a great a public health program. Also visiting Penn State, so that is an option as well.

2 Likes