Virginia Tech Freshmen 2018 - Waitlist

Hello!! I am a senior, 3.8 unweighted, 4 year double varsity sports, service honor, with multiple President/Vice President roles. I was deferred from VT early decision and Waitlisted. I know of three people who have heard back and been accepted from the waitlist so they are definitely pulling this year!! My brother is an assistant coach on their basketball team and has been visiting the admissions office for me, they said that the waitlist isn’t like pulling from a hat they have to wait until they get responses from all students in each major before they start offering positions which is probably why one of my friends who applied into psychology and was waitlisted, was accepted this past weekend.

@Taylornicole1 Thanks for the info! I was also deferred and waitlisted so we’re on the same boat. Did the admissions office specify what day they would offer more waitlisted students admission?

I just got off the waitlist today!!! I’m unenrolling from JMU and accepting the offer!! I’ve never been so happy/relieved :smiley:

Congratulations, @Hokies23 Hope you have a great time at Virginia Tech!

DS just got an email of a 7K provost achievement renewable scholarship in addition to the 3K+ he was initially given so he decided to accept Tech’s offer and will be withdrawing commitment from another school. Good luck to everyone and congratulations to those pulled from the waitlist.

@Eas419 Do you think you could share your stats??

For anybody that was taken off the eqaitlist so far, what did extra things did you do besides just accepting the waitlist position? Thank you

Hi guys, I’m a Virginia Community College transfer student. I have an environmental associates degree and I was waitlisted. I have a 3.2 GPA and I really wanted to go to tech. I thought I was guaranteed with their agreements to surrounding community colleges. I didn’t apply anywhere else because tech is my dream school and I really thought I would be accepted honestly. I applied to general bio. What could be my chances of admission? Thanks in advance!

My son was accepted from the waitlist. He had committed somewhere else. We never expected he’d be accepted. This was for the Data Analytics major. His GPA was 3.2 and SAT around 1250.

@EHmom your DS was originally wait-listed, then accepted with $10k in renewable scholarships? Wow! That’s fantastic, and pretty rare. Good for him! Welcome to Hokie Nation!

My son received a phone call from the VT admissions office yesterday that he had been accepted off the waitlist and was offered a 7K scholarship. I believe that he had listed Nutrition as his major (or undecided), OOS, and he had a 3.0 UW GPA and 30 on his ACT. Frankly, we were shocked that he was waitlisted to begin with and now doubly shocked that he was offered a scholarship ??? In comparison, my oldest son was accepted to VT 2 yrs ago, with a 4K scholarship and had a 32 ACT and similar grades. S has accepted at another school and had emotionally moved on from VT. My husband and I are hokies so this is a very tough decision. I feel like some kind of mistake has been made regarding admissions at VT this year…very unusual to see scholarship awards for waitlisted students…

Congratulations to your S, too @JKrazney2!

@STEM2017 Thank you! The 7k is renewable but not sure about the 3+k…hopefully. We were not expecting the additional award but he has good stats and we were actually surprised that he was waitlisted by Tech. He was accepted at Clemson and a few more good engineering schools, waitlisted at NYU and GW.

Congratulations to those of you waitlisted, accepted, and then receiving scholarships. Last year our D was accepted into 11 very solid engineering programs and received $ from all accept tech. She wrote all essays - one about her grandpa kidnapping the VMI kangaroo, visited campus (from New Mexico), was 2nd in her class (of 300), but maybe it was her relatively low ACT score of 30 that hurt her chances for scholarship money. To be truthful, it was a bit insulting at the time. But she ended up at Cal Poly and could not be happier. (Yes, even they threw her a bone of $1000 a year, not much but it was still $10000 a year cheaper than tech.) I also know that she would have been happy at any of the other universagain, too, just as your students will be. All I know is I’m thankful we don’t have to go through the whole process again!

@mustangmom2o21 Not sure how it is “insulting” for a student from New Mexico to not get scholarship money from Virginia Tech? Most instate kids don’t even get scholarships. There does seem to be some money we’ve seen here given to OOS students to bring the cost down for them. But even that does not seem to be a given. Glad your daughter is happy at Cal Poly!

Well, perhaps at the time it was an overreaction. Her deceased grandpa, my dad, was a Hokie. When we visited, she fell in love, as did I. When we toured campus, her almost 80-year old grandma strutted around campus wearing this medal the university awarded our D’s grandpa 50 years later at a football game for him (and his buddies) stealing that VMI kangaroo mascot. Of all the universities we visited, and there were many, Tech had the emotional connection, yet it was the only one that offered nothing. It stung, I know it may not make any logical sense. What can I say? It was an emotional time. But, like I said, it worked out.

There are many proud Hokies out there, saw the extent of that when one of my sons became one! VT engineering is very highly ranked . Even instate very high stat kids get denied in engineering . Or if they are admitted, may or may not get money attached to an acceptance. Sorry it did not work out for your daughter at VT but glad it has worked out at Cal Poly!

Yes, I am always shocked reading on this website the talented, hard-working students that Tech and other universities reject, or if they do admit them, award no $. But I can see why there are so many proud Hokies. Fantastic place to live and learn. And congratulations to yours as well.

My son is waitlisted for Fall '18… he hasn’t received any notice over the last week that he was selected for admission but I just noticed on the VT application status page that it was updated to just show “Early Decision Applicant” whereas before it showed that he had chosen to remain on the Wait List and you could click on the initial wait list letter that Tech sends. Does this mean they are getting ready to update his status, close the wait list, etc.?

My son’s changed too…guessing not a good sign :frowning: