Virginia Tech's Class of 2020!

@Asil65 I’m also planning to apply for Engineering. My school is planning to have a Computer Science class, but it might not work out. The closest you can take to a Programming class at my school is Computer Math, which I’m taking right now. I would take it if we have enough people. I want to do mechanical engineering. I’m assuming your son was accepted. I will also be taking regular Physics senior year.

Learned S was admitted via Guest portal yesterday. Applied RD Computer Engineering. Portal doesn’t specify choice of college, but we didn’t make any choice but Engineering.

OOS
High School: Public IB, ranked #11 nationally
High School Type: sends many grads to top schools
Academics:
GPA - Unweighted: 3.74
GPA - Weighted: 4.29
Class Rank: top 5%
Class Size: 321
Scores:
ACT: 34
Extracurriculars:
Significant Extracurriculars: CAS Workstudy-2 yrs, Beta Club-3yrs, FPS, 4yrs, Math team 4yrs, F/T job summer
Leadership positions: Beta Club, Pres-2 years
Athletic Status - Varsity Tennis
Volunteer/Service Work: Tutor at middle school-3yrs, Humane Society-1yr, Zoo-2yrs, multiple svc projects-4yrs
Honors and Awards: AP National Scholar, German HS, Science HS, Math HS, IB HS, Superintendent Super Scholar, Ten80 STEM Reg event-1st place RC Car team

Since you are planning to apply for Engineering, I suggest you consider taking AP physics also.

So I l noticed that VT only took my ACT english and math scores. Why is that? I thought all colleges just care about your composite score.

They also only take CR and Math scores for SAT, unless that has changed recently.

@hokiehopeful12, I assume they have a minimum threshold they look for depending on your major. UTk indicated to my S that they required a min math score of a 30 for all COE majors.

Okay thank you @WeSayWarEagle I am interested in studying finance (Pamplin)

Just received my acceptance! I applied to Computer Engineering but my major isn’t listed on my portal.

SAT: 2030 (670 M, 670CR)
GPA: 4.9/5

State or Country: Middle East
School Type: Private, International
Ethnicity: White (Middle Eastern)

Subjective:
Essays: Horrible! I cringe every time I remember them and I really thought they ruined all chances of getting in.
Hook (if any): Not sure if a hook but my gender probably helped.

General Comments:
My transcripts weren’t received until the 7th of March so I wasn’t expecting a decision so soon! I also made a few BIG mistakes on my application since I rushed through it and didn’t submit until two minutes before the deadline. Definitely wouldn’t recommend doing that lol

Does anybody know how I can check that I got into engineering? And if there’s any way I can print my own acceptance letter from the portal?

They will send out the acceptance letter. My S received his about a week after his acceptance was reflected on his guest portal. I dont believe you are able to print a letter from the guest portal. It is extremely limited in info. Letter should indicate COE acceptance, but you can call too.

are u seriously considering virginia tech

@essar98 Virginia Tech is a serious and forward-looking school for engineering studies. To get a glimpse of what is taking place at Tech, check out Ware Lab if you are going to visit: https://vimeo.com/92042467

@Emotive I didn’t want what i said to come out like that. I was asking that question because with those credentials, one can also expect acceptances from colleges like Purdue. I know that Virginia tech has a great engineering program but is it top notch? I, myself am trying to decide if I want to go to Virginia tech as I have been accepted.

When today will they release the decisions?

@essar98 In terms of engineering curricula, one would be hard-pressed to find much difference among schools like Virginia Tech, Purdue, Illinois, Georgia Tech,… They offer the same set of courses and programs, have similar teaching facilities, employ same-caliber faculty, and provide similar internship/study abroad/co-op/… opportunities. Each school has a huge alumni network and they all are well-connected to regional companies.

The program comparison between Tech and Purdue is particularly interesting, it just seems to me these two schools are carbon-copy of each other. Tech even recruited its President, who is an engineer, from Purdue.

@sibibib: i read that they will be posted after 5 pm eastern time

That’ll be midnight here:)

In 2011, when March 18 last fell on a Friday, applicants started receiving decisions just past 1 pm. Anyone heard yet?

I just got my decision!!!

@elysium305 where are you from/where did you see it