Wow Week of Welcome Schedule 2011

<p>BTW…First day of classes is Wednesday, Aug 24.</p>

<p>Week of Welcome Calendar</p>

<p>My Morning Jacket Benefit Show with Neko Case & Phosphorescent (Week of Welcome | August 19, 2011)
Time: 07:00 PM - 10:00 PM
Date: August 19, 2011
Information: Tickets available at [Tickets</a> for Concerts, Sports, Arts, Theater, Family, Events, more. Official Ticketmaster site](<a href=“http://www.ticketmaster.com%5DTickets”>http://www.ticketmaster.com).</p>

<p>Open House at Hillel (Week of Welcome | August 20, 2011)
Time: 12:00 pm - 04:00 pm
Date: August 20, 2011
Location: Bloom Hillel Student Center 380 9th Street (Across from the Bryant Museum)
Information: Bama Hillel welcomes students and families to the Bloom Hillel Student Center, 380 9th Street (across from the Bryant Museum) to meet students and staff, enjoy refreshments and tour our new building.</p>

<p>First Generation Student Reception (Week of Welcome | August 20, 2011)
Time: 04:00 pm - 05:00 pm
Information: “Negotiating the Maze” is an event for students and families who are new to the college process and want to learn more about The University of Alabama. Also, students and families will learn what campus resources are available to help ease the transition to college. Campus partners will be present to answer questions and offer information. </p>

<p>Move-In Cookout for Honors College Students (Week of Welcome | August 20, 2011)
Time: 05:30 PM - 09:00 PM
Information: Dr. Shane Sharpe (Honors College Dean) and Dr. Jacqueline Morgan (Honors College Associate Dean) invite all Honors College freshmen to the annual Move-In Day Cookout at the Ridgecrest South Community patios. There will be donation bins for school supplies to donate to Tuscaloosa’s One Place for victims of April’s tornado. Crimson Ride: Gold</p>

<p>Movie on the Plaza (Week of Welcome | August 20, 2011)
Time: 10:00 pm - 12:00 am
Date: August 20, 2011 - August 21, 2011
Information: What’s more fun than watching a movie outdoors? Join us for a movie screening, free pizza, Pepsi products and ice cream. Feel free to bring something comfortable to sit on. Movie TBA!</p>

<p>Open House at Hillel (Week of Welcome | August 21, 2011)
Time: 12:00 pm - 04:00 pm
Date: August 21, 2011
Location: Bloom Hillel Student Center 380 9th Street (Across from the Bryant Museum)
Information: Bama Hillel welcomes students and families to the Bloom Hillel Student Center, 380 9th Street (across from the Bryant Museum) to meet students and staff, enjoy refreshments and tour our new building.</p>

<p>Fun at the Rec Center (Week of Welcome | August 21, 2011)
Time: 08:00 PM - 12:00 AM
Date: August 21, 2011
Information: Your first official trip to the Student Recreation Center as a UA student involves a pool party with a live DJ, food, games, and much more. Take a dip, relax on the lazy river and mingle with new students while you swim and dance the night away. Don’t forget your UA Action card.* * UA Action Card ID required to enter the Outdoor Pool area. Crimson Ride: Perimeter North, Perimeter South </p>

<p>Transfer Student Luncheon (Week of Welcome | August 22, 2011)
Time: 12:00 pm - 01:00 pm
Date: August 22, 2011
Information: Come meet with other transfer students and learn about ways to get involved with what is happening on campus throughout the year. Lunch will be provided. </p>

<p>Healthy You 101 (Week of Welcome | August 22, 2011)
Time: 01:00 PM - 02:00 PM
Date: August 22, 2011
Information: Is health important to you? Do you want to learn how to have a healthy lifestyle while in college? Better yet, do you want to make healthy living an extracurricular activity at UA? Then you don’t want to miss this dynamic program! Project Health is an award-winning student organization, which uses peer education strategies to engage their audiences in addressing pertinent college health issues while helping them learn ways to make healthy and responsible decisions about their health and well-being. Learn the seven most common areas of health that affect college students and use techniques to address these issues in Healthy You 101! Crimson Ride: Gold 2</p>

<p>Student Night at Target (Week of Welcome | August 22, 2011)
Time: 10:30 pm - 12:30 am
Date: August 22, 2011 - August 23, 2011
Location: Target-Tuscaloosa Store located on Veterans Memorial Parkway
Information: Target will re-open Monday night just for students. Transportation will be provided to and from the store where students will receive giveaway bags, special coupons, and product samples. A DJ will provide entertainment. Shuttle buses will pick up from the following locations: Riverside/RoseTowers, Ridgecrest, Tutwiler and Burke/Parham </p>

<p>Ripple Effect: Freshmen Volunteer Day (Week of Welcome | August 23, 2011)
Time: 09:00 am - 02:00 pm
Date: August 23, 2011
Information: Ripple Effect: Freshmen Volunteer Day is a chance for new students to get to know their community, their fellow classmates and the Community Service Center through a day of service. Students will have a variety of volunteer activities to choose from. Registration for a service site will begin at 9:00 a.m., and volunteer service will begin at 10:00 a.m. Students will volunteer until 1:00 p.m. and then return to the Ferguson Center for lunch and conversations about their service. Transportation will be provided to and from the sites. For more information, visit [Student</a> Affairs | Community Service Center](<a href=“http://volunteer.ua.edu%5DStudent”>http://volunteer.ua.edu). Students should sign up at [Service</a> Learning Pro at The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://slpro.ua.edu%5DService”>http://slpro.ua.edu). Crimson Ride: Gold</p>

<p>Out-of State/International Student Social (Week of Welcome | August 23, 2011)
Time: 01:00 PM - 03:00 PM
Date: August 23, 2011
Information: Don’t miss this amazing opportunity to get the first glimpse of the newly renovated Bryant-Denny Stadium from the best view in the house—the Zone! All out-of-state and international freshmen and transfer students are encouraged to join us in the Zone for free food, fun, and a few words of encouragement from a special guest. This is a great way to learn more about UA and to meet other out-of-state students. Crimson Ride: Green 2</p>

<p>Welcome Back Breakfast (Week of Welcome | August 24, 2011)
Time: 07:00 am - 10:00 am
Date: August 24, 2011
Information: Start the semester off right with the FREE Welcome Back Breakfast on the Ferguson Center Plaza!</p>

<p>Alabama Farmer’s Market (Week of Welcome | August 25, 2011)
Time: 03:00 pm - 06:00 pm
Date: August 25, 2011
Location: Canterbury Episcopal Chapel Lawn (across the street from Burke Residence Hall)
Information: Homegrown Alabama is a student-led organization that seeks to increase awareness of the value of local produce by fostering partnerships between local farmers, the University of Alabama and surrounding communities. Markets are held every Thursday from May to October from 3:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. on the lawn of Canterbury Episcopal Chapel (Hackberry Rd between University Blvd and Bryant Dr). Featured items include fresh Alabama-grown produce, assorted flowers, honey, herbs, baked goods and much more including live music.</p>

<p>Question please, Mom2CK’s, I see on the schedule for Monday a special program for students from out of state or international. Just what to know if that would be appropriate for my d to go to this. SHe applied to Alabama as an OOS student, has never lived in Alabama before except for a few month period when she was a baby, and we are moving to Alabama less than a month before she arrives at college. She certainly will feel like an OOS kid although technically, she will be an instate student by then.</p>

<p>^ of course it’s ok! It’s not like they’re going to ask to see a driver’s license… you’ll find this whole place so welcoming :slight_smile: I say go to anything you can…</p>

<p>Yes…anyone can go. </p>

<p>Frankly, I doubt even an instate student would be turned away. They probably will ask what state you’re from to put on a name tag or something. Your D can just put her former state.</p>

<p>BTW…welcome to Alabama! Are you being transferred here? Will you be associated with Redstone Arsenal?</p>

<p>I highly recommend that all OOS students, including those in MilitaryMom’s daughter’s situation, attend the OOS Student Reception. It is a great way to meet new people, have excellent food, hear a speaker (Anthony Grant spoke my freshman year), and have a great view of Bryant-Denny Stadium.</p>

<p>So, apart from some of these things, what do they do all week?</p>

<p>^^^^Well, if that isn’t enough to do :slight_smile: Students can go to the Supe Store to purchase books and supplies, set up their dorm rooms, walk their class schedule (so they know where they will be going the first day), pay a visit to the various libraries, check out the various dining venues, play Frisbee on the Quad, visit the Paul W. Bryant Museum, visit the Alabama Museum of Natural History or just enjoy “The Strip”.</p>

<p>If they have a car there is much more that they can do.</p>

<p>Somehow this seemed to get lost in cyberland.<br>
Yes, we are being transferred to Redstone Arsenal. My h is Active Duty AF and will be at Missile Defense Agency for a three year assignment and then he plans to retire at 27 years and start a second career staying in Huntsville. D had whittled down her choices to two Alabama schools before we even knew we were being stationed in AL. She chose U of A about an hour before the tornadoes hit and continued to want to go to U of A.</p>

<p>MilitaryMom~ welcome to North Alabama!!! Been here since 1989 when I transferred from UT Austin to one of the local universities. I’m an Army brat and my father was stationed at Redstone in the early 70’s. They loved it so much that when he retired in '86 he got a job here…I followed 3 years later with dh after we both fell in love with the area when visiting.</p>

<p>Redstone is awesome!! So many great companies up there (heaven to an aerospace/defense nerd like myself). I’d highly recommend going to whatever events your daughter has the slightest interest in. Personally, i found that waiting in line outside of Target at night is a great way to meet interesting people. Especially people running around in shopping carts :). Also, the move in cookout is lots of fun (when it doesnt rain!). Finally, i looooove the Ripple Effect. You can usually choose an event that suits your interests and there are so many awesome people who participate!!</p>

<p>I’m just wondering what other OOS parents are doing with regard to WOW if their kids are participating in OA/AA. It looks like there is some sort of Parents send off breakfast on 6/20 and other parent activities that weekend. Are you going for both weekends?</p>

<p>Hubby just moved in DS for OA, waved goodbye and didn’t see him (except on Skype) until Christmas break! Worked for us with little or no adjustment issues (for him ;))</p>

<p>I doubt that any/many OOS parents would go both weekends…to much hassle/cost. LOL</p>

<p>Don’t worry, your kid won’t mind! He’ll be busy with new friends!</p>

<p>is ripple effect for freshman only? d wanted to do that last year but she had some kind of conflict.</p>

<p>Mike…</p>

<p>send an email to the Wow people and ask. Good question!!</p>

<p>Phone: 205-348-3250
Email: <a href=“mailto:wow@sa.ua.edu”>wow@sa.ua.edu</a></p>

<p>MMJ is kicking off Week of Welcome? WoW, indeed.
(for those who don’t know, My Morning Jack is a country-ish rock band that’s huge at the moment- they were one of Bonnaroo’s 4 headliners this year, for instance)</p>

<p>Edit: Oh, I’ll probably miss this one- Steely Dan, which I already have tickets to, is playing at the amphitheater the next night.</p>

<p>You mean the same Steely Dan who sang this immortal line?</p>

<p>They call Alabama the Crimson Tide;
Just call me the Deacon Blues.</p>

<p>(With apologies to any CCers who may be Wake Forest football fans :))</p>

<p>One and the same. :-)</p>

<p>I saw somewhere that on Friday night, Aug. 19, there is a “Family Dinner.” Can someone tell me please, is that a “real” dinner, i.e., an event? Or is it more like, “Hey, you are free to stop by the cafeteria and grab a bite.” </p>

<p>We are planning a family road trip around the taking DS to school. :slight_smile: So we need to know if Friday night is really a “thing,” not to be missed, or if it’s easily passed up.</p>

<p>we are arriving friday night, but i think we are going to try to hit a restaurant instead.</p>