Black Class of 2013 hs Thread

<p>I have Biology and Physics B next Monday and Stat next wednesday and I just took art history and that ***** was hard!! makes me nervous about the other ones</p>

<p>Im almost done with AP tests! so happy, but that means were getting closer to applying for college, which is scary!</p>

<p>Ya but be graduate hs next yr!</p>

<p>Sent from my SPH-M910 using CC</p>

<p>I take AP French and AP English Lang/Comp Next week.
Then, APES and AP Chem the following week.</p>

<p>has anyone started to think about what youre going to write about for application essays?</p>

<p>^I came up with a couple of ideas, but I’m going to review them and work on it over the summer before my life gets to stressful.</p>

<p>yeah I wanted to do mine over summer aswell but am afraid most of my ideas are too cliche!</p>

<p>Hey guys, we’re so close to being done with junior year! Having taken the SATs twice and three AP test these past two weeks, all that’s left are my 3 subject tests and finals.</p>

<p>As for the upcoming school year, I’m ecstatic to get cracking with the college applications. Here’s my current list (pretty concrete at this point):</p>

<ol>
<li>UPenn (my dream school :))</li>
<li>Columbia</li>
<li>Amherst College</li>
<li>UChicago</li>
<li>Northwestern</li>
<li>Bowdain College</li>
<li>University of Michigan</li>
<li>New York University</li>
<li>Lehigh University</li>
<li>McGill University</li>
<li>Fordham University</li>
<li>UMass Amherst</li>
</ol>

<p>youre ecstatic? thats good, i wish i felt the same!
here’s my final list, (i hope)</p>

<ol>
<li>Harvard</li>
<li>Yale</li>
<li>Princeton
4.Brown</li>
<li>UPenn
6.Stanford
7.Johns Hopkins</li>
<li>Georgetown</li>
<li>MIT</li>
<li>UC Berkeley</li>
<li>UC Los Angeles</li>
<li>UC San Diego</li>
</ol>

<p>also if anyone here is interested in applying to ivies respond to my thread! <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/african-american-students/1340799-applying-ivies-class-2013-a.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/african-american-students/1340799-applying-ivies-class-2013-a.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>not my final list but…:

1. Yale
  2. Princeton
  3. University of Pennsylvania
  4. Dartmouth
  5. MIT
  6. Wesleyan
  7. Johns Hopkins
  8. Connecticut College
  9. University of Rochester
  10. SUNY Stony Brook
  11. SUNY Binghamton
  12. SUNY Geneseo
  13. SUNY Albany</p>

<p>also, do you guys think it’s necessary for me to take AP English Lit to get into these colleges? i want to be a doctor, so i really want to focus on Chemistry and Calc BC (which are the hardest AP’s in my school) next year. but my counselor told me to take it because as a doctor, i have to know how to write, even though i already took AP Lang. i really don’t want AP Lit though. :/</p>

<p>Take AP Lit. </p>

<p>What classes are you guys taking next year?</p>

<p>hey guys! just popping in from the class of 2012!</p>

<p>start your essays early, get your teachers recs solidified in early september (ask teachers and make sure they are writing it. i asked my teachers once a week and i got mine all before october was over.)</p>

<p>relax</p>

<p>have fun</p>

<p>don’t slack off!</p>

<p>good luck :)</p>

<p>Thanks^^^ eventhough I might not go to a 4yr straight from high school</p>

<p>Sent from my SPH-M910 using CC</p>

<p>that’s fine! whatever route you choose, enjoy it and excel. if your ultimate goal is college, please do NOT get sidetracked. it is very easy to not want to go back, no matter how much you are determined to. </p>

<p>good luck to everyone in their life’s endeavors :)</p>

<p>Hey CPU thanks for the good advice! would you mind giving us tips/ examples for your essays?! Thats what ive been most worried about!</p>

<p>be yourself. even if you have people read over them, don’t let them change too much because you lose your voice. also have someone who really knows you read them so they can see if ‘you’ are evident in your paper. also have someone who is not familiar with you read it and see what message you convey to them. start EARLY. like Aug 1 when commonapp comes out. take a break for a couple days and come back to them. don’t be afraid to throw an entire essay away and start from scratch. save all your essays because i guarantee you will be able to use the majority of them more than once.</p>

<p>Junior year was terrible haha. I did well, but still, I hated it. I had teachers who purposely deflated grades. My list is:

1. Harvard
  2. Stanford
  3. Duke
  4. Princeton
  5. Cornell
  6. Baylor
  7. Yale
  8. Rice</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Your counselor has given you bad advice. Although writing/English skills are necessary for med school, you will be better served by taking Chem or Calc BC in HS. They will be a better foundation for your college STEM classes. </p>

<p>FWIW, my daughter is AA, just graduated Amherst and will be attending Dartmouth medschool. Her STEM HS classes better served her going into bio/chem/physics/math classes in college than her English/Language classes did.</p>

<p>also, just a note, although it is okay to dream and have ambitions, please be realistic in your application list. don’t apply to a lot of school with sub 20 or sub 30 percent acceptance rates. </p>

<p>i don’t mean to pick on anyone, but here’s just a good example that I see (sorry hellogoodbye):</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>those are all VERY selective schools. that is not a very “smart” list. i suggest for every selective school applied to, 2 more “safeties” or “matches” are added. </p>

<p>also, please make sure your family can afford all of your choices. use net price calculators. and make sure you like all the schools on your list, don’t just pick top schools because. </p>

<p>i know you guys don’t want to hear this, but you’ll regret not heeding the advice of someone who has been through this. just looking at past decision threads on CC is not enough “experience”.</p>

<p>I concur with CPU…</p>

<p>having all ivies are not a good look, it is just a sure way to disappointment.</p>

<p>However, do apply…you never know…
Just have back ups…</p>

<p>I know in my list I have back ups. I just need to have more back ups…I have a huge list (12 schools)…but i need more safeties.</p>