Class of 2019 - Admission Status

<p>@midclassdad - according to the TexAgs forum, Admissions stated as of yesterday, 12/15, that COE is 85% full.</p>

<p>We called them yesterday and they said both Engineering and Management is 100% full in college station. They advised us to not change major as my son will loose his seat, but not get one.</p>

<p>Confusing stats. Thanks for your info.</p>

<p>Also, my son’s first preference was chemical engg. If a slot opens up in chemical, will they consider him for it even though he has Mays Business school admission?</p>

<p>If you have any information, appreciate sharing the same.</p>

<p>Also, when I say ‘they’, I meant admissions office.</p>

<p>I thought majors could not fill all the way with just automatics? Isn’t there like an 85% cap on automatics in majors, then 15% of slots are left for reviews?</p>

<p>What you say makes absolute sense. But this is what they advised us yesterday when we were about to change majors saying both Engineering and Management is 100% full. We are really confused. My son’s stats are decent, so we wanted to try changing major to chemical or other engineering. That is when they advised us not to.</p>

<p>I read today on the texags forum that about 800 review applicants had been given decisions so far</p>

<p>Does anyone know if they take some time to update whether or not transcripts have been received? I uploaded my transcript on Dec. 3 and it still shows as incomplete on my application page. Does this mean that they weren’t acceptable or do they just take a while to look at it and mark it as complete? Just wondering if I still had a chance at A&M.</p>

<p>I have the same issue and called them. If you look on the Documents tab it shows when they were received/uploaded. They told me as long as that date is on or before 12/5 we are ok! Guess the question is - do we have a chance at getting in as it sounds like they are pretty full already…</p>

<p>I am getting contradicting information between looking at TexAgs forum and directly talking to admissions. Admissions told us that both Engineering and Management are 100% full, where as TexAgs suggests that the decisions are still being made. Do not know what to infer from all this.</p>

<p>After a long wait, my son received full admission tonight. Applied 8/12, rank 27%, SAT 2100, 1350 M & CR. Still only have 2 tabs on Howdy so not sure when that will change. We were told by prospective student center last spring that if he wanted engineering he should apply early and should have first and second choice major in engineering only. Another poster somewhere on here suggested that you choose physics as a major and then try to transfer in if you don’t get engineering up front. We will probably check with an advisor about that if he doesn’t get into engineering. My son’s admission says he’s under “Engineering Review” so I don’t think all engineering spots have been taken yet. We were able to apply for housing and we checked off the Engineering Learning Community in Mosier and it didn’t kick it back at us. so hopefully there’s still room.
I know the wait is brutal but hang in there. I think things are really beginning to move now. Good luck to all.</p>

<p>Got into Aerospace Engineering at A&M</p>

<p>School: Westwood High, Austin TX (ranked 47th in the nation)
GPA: 4.45/5.0
SAT: 2090 (730 M, 720 CR)
SAT II: Math Level 2 (790)
EC’s: 3 years varsity football (academic all-district, academic all-state)
Intern and researcher at UT’s Cockrell engineering school for Aerospace
Science Olympiad state awards
Co-founder of Aerospace club</p>

<p>I was accepted today, December 16th! I was a review admit!
4.22 w 3.67uw
252/988 rank 25.5%
32 ACT 27 math 34 science 33 english 34 reading
varsity sports and volunteer hours
Accepted into Biomedical Sciences</p>

<p>Glad to see people finally getting decisions. I’ve received decisions from my other choices, TAMU is the last one. </p>

<p>Here are my stats:
GPA: 4.3 W
1760 SAT (660math, 530 cr)
Varsity Sports(state ranked)
NHS
Tons of volunteering
3 great essays, received quite a bit of aid from other schools with my essays.</p>

<p>Hoping for engineering. </p>

<p>Still waiting here ( Mays and Liberal Arts were mine)</p>

<p>Thanks. That was useful information.</p>

<p>Aggie79. That was useful information. Thank you.</p>

<p>@midclassdad majors here are filled by rolling admissions (first come first served), both those majors fill quickly- had your son applied earlier he would have gotten his first choice. Engineering has a newer system, they admit 85% of the available slots in rolling admissions and the last 15% competitively in engineering review. To be eligible you had to have both majors listed as engineering (that is why your son was not considered) and then they review those in that pool holistically for admission. It is very competitive. The business major also admits on a rolling basis and supposedly(this is very much just what I heard) saves a few spots for high achievers but it is not an official review.</p>

<p>IF your son decides to change majors, yes you give up your seat. Both departments work the same in that everyone is admitted to general business/engineering then declare their specific major later (management, chemical). Business seems to work that everyone gets their major – they declare after they have completed specific courses (30 units) in all business fields ( it really directs you towards your strength - so some people change their minds during the process based on the actual results of taking courses). Engineering has just started their system this school year so the first group have not yet got results -they begin to apply for specific majors after a minimum of 3 courses ,so anywhere from one semester and a maximum of 4 semesters (old system was direct admit to major as freshman applicants - some were filled in weeks after apps were open). They do not backfill if someone drops engineering or decides to go elsewhere. There is a built in % of admissions granted that they know will not attend. </p>

<p>Here are some options: your son can take the courses in math, science & apply to COE as a current student if he still wants COE meanwhile fulfilling the gen ed requirements with those courses- you do not ‘give up’ your current major to do this, he would still be in the business major. You can switch to an open major - possibly chemistry/physics/ or another science related option then apply to COE after completing courses. You can ask if he can be considered for engineering review (move fast on this). The business school has different rules for obtaining admission after freshman admit - you have to complete all 30 units then apply - it is competitive. So if you opt to go for the engineering review now- you will not be able to declare a business major for a while if he does not get in to COE - you keep your admission to the university itself & will have to pick an open major. </p>

<p>The term of 100% full probably means the 85% of rolling admissions since those have already been decided. The last 15% of engineering review - have not yet been decided, they are just now notifying those who are competing. It is rather confusing - especially if you’re OOS. Hope this helps a little - we’re OOS too, and the rules of admission here are very different but well known within Texas. </p>

<p>@shopsouthern to the best of my knowledge, there is no ‘official’ cap for amount of academic/automatic admits in majors. The 85% in engineering (that is the only college that does the 85/15 % method) can include academic, top 10% and review admits (those that were notified early). The last 15% is also open to all three categories (later applying academic & top 10% and review).</p>

<p>I love you folks for taking so much time and giving detailed reply to me. Thank you so much for it. What should I do to initiate Engineering Review? Any ideas?</p>