Congratulations! You're a Cane!

<p>Cur - I have lurked on CC for over two years, I seldom post because I feel like the conversation has moved on by the time I can chime in. This is a long way of saying I am aware of your D's qualifications and I have always felt that she would be qualified for the full tuition scholarship. They even told us at one of the info sessions we attended that that scholarship went to vals and sals. I also feel that stat-wise your D is a step above mine. Hopefully, by the time you read this you have gotten "the package".</p>

<p>Gosh. I really do appreciate the kind words but man alive, I don't look at this process as my kid is above or ahead or more anything than any other qualified student applying. </p>

<p>1) I really don't trust the tests. My daughter's first ACT was a 32 because she flagged the science (missed a whole section she didn't understand). Other kids probably have similar stories.</p>

<p>2) She IS presently #1. By .004 according to her. Due to a bizarre grading anomaly it may be unlikely that she will retain that rank in May (even if she makes 100's from here on out). She will probably move to #2 after the 5Th six weeks. But the acceptances are already in by then. If she is "greater" now does that make her "lesser" then? I don't see it.</p>

<p>3) Her GPA is rock solid as are her evaluations, but they are from Unknown High School, Rural, Texas. I can make many arguments that for a diamond to appear from that rough around the edges school makes her special indeed, but what about the number 10 kid at a better thought of school? There are arguments for that kid , too.</p>

<p>She is qualified for consideration for the top award at most schools. The rest will come down to how much personality she put into her apps and how that is perceived by an unknown decision-maker. Sounds fun, huh? I really hope all our kids somehow find what they need.</p>

<p>Accepted via mail today!</p>

<p>Pre-med program.</p>

<p>ACT: 32
SAT IIs: 800 Math Level 2, 790 Japanese, 710 US History
GPA: 3.19 UW (up until junior year), 3.32 UW (through 1Q senior year)</p>

<p>Asian, nothing that special. Good essay.</p>

<p>1/2 scholarship!</p>

<p>S just received his big envelope...3/4 Scholarship.Dancing with joy as UM now becomes a contender,tuition wise!</p>

<p>Curm..maybe a call is in order to make sure your D was processed with the EA applicants and not put in the RD pile?</p>

<p>WOW! A 3/4 scholarship! I couldn't be happier for you cathymee! Congrats to you and your S!</p>

<p>can you use this if you used the commonapp?</p>

<p>D is jumping for joy. She received the Singer Full-tuition award. That'll flat get your attention. LOL. We are very grateful at my house. WooHoo!!</p>

<p>BTW , nothing ever showed on her My Um/Easy page either. And you can rest assured I wore the letters off the screen by clicking on it so many times. ;)</p>

<p>WOW !!! What great news today! Congratulations to roadrunner, cathymee and Cur! Way to go!!!!!!! I'm so happy for all of you.</p>

<p>Here's a big WOOT!!! for everyone. :)</p>

<p>Congrats Cur! And to think they only give out 20!</p>

<p>Roadrunner! So happy for you! I know you got deferred from Michigan - this is quite different isn't it!?</p>

<p>curm - congratulations !!!! I'm so glad for you and D</p>

<p>CUR</p>

<p>AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what a fabulous reward!!!
Congrats to D and to you.Your patience has been rewarded!Quite an honor.To think you are one in approx 20!!
Will you be visiting now?
We plan on being there during the Feb break week from HS,though may go another time if there is a planned admitted students day..</p>

<p>WOO HOO! What a great day for the Curmudgeon family. I am so excited for you and for UM at the possibility of getting this great kid and all the other great acceptees here. It looks like the class of 2010 will be top notch! If those of us with kids at UM can help in anyway, please let us know.</p>

<p>Last year, Admitted Students Day was the first Sunday in April. There was a full day program for students and parents.</p>

<p>Once again, Congrats to all those already accepted and Good Luck to those still waiting.</p>

<p>UMiami is a certain visit but not until April as basketball playoffs and required attendance scholarship weekends have sucked all the time between now and then away. DW can't seem to get her fingers 'round the idea that the little cherub that lives with us has received such an honor. It is hard to believe.</p>

<p>Ok so is there anyone who has heard nothing yet? Nothing has showed up on the website. Nothing has come in the mail?</p>

<p>alanstats-It's not February 1st yet. I wouldn't worry about it. I know you got into UWisc and that's probably harder to get into than UMiami, although this year has a tough class.</p>

<p>yes..i still have heard nothing..im beginning to think they might have put my application in the regular decision pile..and then ill be ****ed</p>

<p>Hey everyone, new person here. Glad I found you all. </p>

<p>My son received his acceptance last Monday. He's already had me send in his deposit as Miami became his first choice. here's his stats:
4.02 GPA
1480 SAT (790 math/690 Verbal)
Ranked 10th in his class (365 in Class)
6 AP classes (so far two 4's and a 5) with 3 more this year
Several Honors classes
Taking 2 classes this year at a local college for H.S. credit
Going to major in Comp. Science
Played soccer 3 years, not this year
Has worked 20 hours ave./week for over three years</p>

<p>AND he got one of the 3/4 scholarships which really made us proud and happy (and enabled him to say "I'm going there!!) And to top it all off, one of his best friends also was accepted this past week with a 1/3 scholarship and they are planning on trying to room together (at least they won't have to worry about getting a nightmare roommate).</p>

<p>Hope to run into some of you at Orientation.</p>

<p>Welcome to the board. It's nice to hear the decision is made by somebody. LOL. We still have 3 months to wait until pulling the trigger. Congrats on the scholarship-that's fantastic news . Congrats to your kid.</p>

<p>Now search out all the cool info on dining cards, dorms, profs, programs etc and we'll be right behind you.;)</p>

<p>Hey Cur (may I call you Cur? or should I say Mr. cur until we know each other better???)</p>

<p>I already started a thread on good/Bad Professors. Let's hope some people post some good info on it.</p>

<p>Everything else seems to be fairly straight forward. Just be aware of the housing assigned number (depends on how soon you get the contract in), and the immunization forms that need to go in before they consider enrollment complete.</p>

<p>Looking forward to hearing from/meeting/being stoned by all you folks in the months to come.</p>