Deferred and Still have hope!

<p>I have the same award overview tab as everyone else. I’m suspecting it was just a site update.</p>

<p>Does it make anyone else wonder when you see people admitted with lower GPA’s and Lower SAT’s than you have? I just dont get it.</p>

<p>about 15 kids applied to binghamton in my school including myself… I live in new Jersey and I’ve come to the conclusion that plays a huge roll in admission because as an out of state I pay a higher tution. I was even surprised I got a 3k a year scholarship… my stats I thought were average for the school
about a 92 GPA
3 APs, 3 College Classes, all honors for the rest
28 ACT (sent), 1240 (didn’t send)
I know this is the wrong thread but I’m thinking it was because i’m out of state I was accepted in all honesty. I know I had amazing recs and I thought my essay was good but I did not expect to get merit aid along with my acceptance</p>

<p>I have noticed that too with the out of state. Congrats to you though! Your Stats are still very good. Ive seen lower who have been admitted. I live in NY but I guess Bing has to meet some quota to admit students from other states. I dont know. I dont think they rejected anyone from EA. So my daughter is in a huge pool now. I dont feel hopeful she will be admitted now.</p>

<p>My sons friend was accepted on friday and doesnt even want to go to Binghamton. My son told me his friend had a 1300 SAT but mid 80’s average with just a few honors classes. My son took all honors and as of Junior year 4 AP’s (3 this year for a total of 7) and got 3-4’s and 1-5 and has a higher GPA. This is very frustrating and I feel the same way you do GCmom about being in a huge pool. On another note, I have cut down to checking the status checker only once a day. :-)</p>

<p>They are rolling out the acceptance slowly. Its nuts. I do check still at least 2x a day once in the AM and once after business hours. My daughter visiting Bing a few weeks ago. She stayed in Mountain View. She loved the dorms. Although Bing is great she is looking for her teacher certification for secondary ed for math and would have to complete her masters there. I was hoping she would have been admitted to Geneseo but they admitted her for Spring. Oneonta is our one SUNY she was admitted to. I recently got the aid package from Siena and it was very good. She should be admitted into the honors college and would be teacher certified when she leaves and could complete her masters home. We are also waiting on Gettysburg which she loves and where her brother goes but I dont know if I can afford two kids there , Lehigh which is a shot in the dark and did not receive most of her awards yet. Its crazy to think it about 6 weeks we need to deposit.</p>

<p>I think I said this already, but we have a deposit at UBuffalo. I would be more then happy if he ends up there. Good Engineering reputation and nice campus. Much more to do in the surrounding area, thats for sure. If only it wasnt a 10 hr car drive from LI. Then again we all forget its only for 4 years.</p>

<p>I know it’s still pretty early for Binghamton, but I can’t help but feel that as each day passes, my chances of acceptance decrease. Not to be a downer, but typically no news is bad news – for colleges at least.</p>

<p>We should all hear by the end of March. Most financial awards come at that time too…Im trying to keep some hope.</p>

<p>Been lurking here for a LOOONG time… waiting on my S decision too and it is killing us! Bing is his first choice. 7 for 7 so far but of course his first choice is not here yet so he is left hanging. We have our deposit in at Oswego so he is safe there if he decides on that route… Good luck all!</p>

<p>Only a handful my class has heard from Bing for RD yet. It’s a class size of about 500 in NY. I wouldn’t be worried too much about chances decreasing with time. One the the people accepted got in with a 1190 and 99 average to Harpur.</p>

<p>I guess we all have to know in about 2 weeks the latest!</p>

<p>After applying my S constantly got emails from Binghamton about things going on and reminders to check status. However, ever since he got the email that he was to be reviewed again for regular admission, he has not received any and that was Jan 16th. Is that a bad sign? Is this the case for anyone else?</p>

<p>I did receive two more e-mails after they informed me about my application completion. They weren’t anything of any importance – just about connections and “going green.” However, I never received any e-mails about checking my status.</p>

<p>Ive really lost hope at this point.</p>

<p>GCmom, my son applied to the Engineering dept. Some of his accepted friends applied to liberal arts. Unfortunately it isnt always about the stats, but what dept. in a school you are applying to and the amount of ‘seats’. It is frustrating that they are waiting to last minute. I assume they are holding out to see how many replies they get from those accepted already. In any case we have a deposit in another school and I am more then thrilled with that school, if things dont work out w/ Binghamton. I will make sure my son knows that I am VERY proud of him, and as I tell him, ’ It’s not where you start, its how you finish".</p>

<p>I’ve been lurking here for a long time and reading everyone’s posts has certainly helped me to feel like I’m not going thru this alone. My son applied EA - - was deferred to RD and we are still waiting. He knows of someone with lower stats who was accepted so I agree with DadRangerfan that it also depends on the dept. you applied to. He applied to the SOM. At this point we are both a little burnt by the wait. It’s been a tough few months.</p>

<p>I called the admissions office this morning.</p>

<p>The recording stated that they will be issuing decisions up to April 1st.</p>

<p>In my opinion they are going to lose some applicants who just don’t want to wait any longer and will accept other offers recieved from colleges that have responded in a more timely fashion.</p>

<p>Unfortunately the reality is,they are a very desirable school and will fill every single seat. They are no doubt waiting to the last minute to hear back from the ‘top’ applicants first, then will use the deferred pool to fill out the class. I honestly think they couldn’t care less about those of us feeling burned by the wait or losing applicants to other schools. They are in the enviable position of knowing they’ll be just fine, one way or another. Like I said, my son is covered because we have a refundable deposit elsewhere. I would hate for him to have had less then desirable housing because he waited. That would have been a real ‘burn’. I suggest all of you get deposits on your next choice, as long as they are refundable.</p>

<p>Found something interesting while searching through the status checker this afternoon. As all you other degree-seeking applicants know, you won’t be able to see your decision on the status checker itself. However, if you go to “Financial Aid” —> “Eligibility” —> “Academic Progress,” you should see a status updater on the page. Those of us who still have not heard back should see “Not Yet Evaluated” under it. Just thought I’d throw this out there, as I’m sure I’m not the only one looking for the quickest way to see if you’re accepted! Best of luck!</p>