Early Action -- New Thread for 2011

<p>Low test scores, average GPA, amazing EC’s… ACCEPTED!</p>

<p>My son got in :)</p>

<p>Stats: 35 ACT; 4.0 unweighted, 4.65 weighted; lots of ECs</p>

<p>That acceptance in the URL doesn’t mean anything because I got deferred and it was in my URL.</p>

<p>What exactly are you saying CityGirl? When you say URL do you mean your myUM account? I can’t imagine they’d send you a message in myUM that says you are accepted, and then defer you in the letter that comes in the mail???
Or am I misinterpreting you?</p>

<p>This is the third school I’ve been deferred from…</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted (early action)</p>

<p>Objective:
ACT: 31 C (33 E, 34 R, 27 S, 31 M )
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): somewhere around a 3.8
Senior Year Course Load: APES, AP Psych, AP Calc, Advanced Latin (independent study), AP Economics
Subjective:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): lots of medical-related activities
Job/Work Experience: certified pharmacy tech, etc.
Volunteer/Community service: some
Summer Activities: alot
Essays: great essay
Teacher Recommendation: sent 2
Counselor Rec: sent 1
Additional Rec: sent 2
Interview: didnt need one</p>

<p>Other[list][<em>] Intended Major: latin & biological anthropology double major (pre-med)[</em>] State (if domestic applicant): missouri[<em>] Country (if international applicant): USA[</em>] School Type: public[<em>] Ethnicity: african-american[</em>] Gender: guy</p>

<p>@ZincWhiskers: No. There was talk earlier of the word “acceptance” in the myUM url and so some people thought it meant we got in. But I got deferred, so just for the future folks that stumble upon this thread, it doesn’t mean you’re accepted until you see a letter form them.</p>

<p>I see all deferral and acceptances…I think I was the only one to get flat out denied :(</p>

<p>Dear Evan,</p>

<p>The Admission Committee has given careful consideration to your application for admission to undergraduate studies at the University of Miami.</p>

<p>I am sorry to inform you that we are unable to offer you admission at the University of Miami at this time. Although it may be difficult to understand our decision, admission to the University of Miami is very competitive and we are not able to accept all of the students who apply for admission.</p>

<p>If you are still interested in seeking admission to the University, you may want to reapply as a transfer student. We recommend that you pursue work at an accredited college or university and take a solid schedule of academic course work. Upon completion of one year of study (10 courses), you may reapply to the University as a transfer student.</p>

<p>To learn more about this option for gaining admission to the University of Miami please feel free to contact me. I will be happy to offer you guidance on how best to prepare and take advantage of this opportunity. You may contact us at (305) 284-4323.</p>

<p>In the meantime, I wish you every success as you continue to formulate your educational plans.</p>

<p>I’m sure you’re not the only one. Lots of people get angry and just don’t post when they aren’t accepted, for all schools, not just UM, so I think it really says something positive about you that you did post it for future applicants to be assisted by your experience. And perhaps you’ll apply in the future as a transfer! :)</p>

<p>I’ve always wanted to post one of these!</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted</p>

<p>Got in! Sweeeet</p>

<p>3.78 UW/3.9 W
32 ACT
Football, soccer, and J.R.O.T.C.
Applied to Poly Sci and Philosophy</p>

<p>Eromanio, I am sorry about the decision. The acceptance selection I have learned with my son can be all over the map. I am sure you will land somewhere equally good for you in the fall.</p>

<p>Accepted. OOS. 3.4, 1920.</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted</p>

<p>yay!
Does anyone know when we will be alerted about academic scholarships or financial aid? Is this is April with the rest of the letters?</p>

<p>I think they’ll come in the mail any day now in our packets</p>

<p>Question… when is orientation at UM? Right before school or staggered during the summer (I hope right before school)?</p>

<p>I’m pretty sure orientation is in August, like the week before school starts. That’s how it was for my friends last year, anyway.</p>

<p>I’m accepted!</p>

<p>Sandrock is correct. Orientation is the week before school starts. Much info will come about signing up for orientation after May. It is a really nice way to learn about the university for students and parents. There are many sessions and keynote speakers and picnic at Donna Shalala’s house. Even “therapy” sessions for parents who are having trouble leaving their kids. Parents get oriented separately than the students.</p>