Singer scholarship?

<p>The Singer Scholarship adjusts for tuition increases.</p>

<p>Well thanks for all the help on this thread from everyone! Going to UM for the second Singer weekend. hope to see some of ya’ll there!</p>

<p>Our son was accepted for early decision and received the Univ. Scholarship (24,000). He has received an invitation for the Singer. Are there additional requirements (honors courses etc.) required if he gets it. What advantages, other than money, do you get? thanks, Richard</p>

<p>I’m in the same boat as Slema, i got the 24k, but don’t know if i got the singer. i don’t think i saw an invitation though :frowning: . it’s weird though because i didn’t apply ea really, i submitted my app on 12/31. did this happen to anyone else? i was planning on ea, but didn’t have everything done in time, so i just submitted it regular decision. in my packet i got the admission letter and the certificate about the university scholarship. also in my packet was scholarship faq’s, and my student id number.</p>

<p>Bear in mind that attending the Singer weekend also offers the opportunity to become a part of the Foote Fellow program, which was quite a deal-breaker for me.</p>

<p>If you have any questions about that, let me know. I’d be happy to answer.</p>

<p>There are no additional requirements for the Singer Scholarship. Honors students have to take a certain number of honors credits but that is unrelated to the scholarship.</p>

<p>Why was the Foote Fellow a deal BREAKER?</p>

<p>Deal breaker as in it helped push me over the edge to decide to come to UM.</p>

<p>Not having to take any general education classes meant I could double major and double minor. And maybe even triple major… And do it in 4 years! You can’t do that at many places unless you are beating yourself into the ground. I can do it with only 15 credits a semester, and that’s something special.</p>

<p>I think I might be coming to the Singer weekend on the 26-27 because I see my mom put it into our family calendar, but I wasn’t too enthusiastic about it to her because I don’t see myself at Miami (and I already have a 24k scholarship). However, if I end up getting it, I may change my mind. ESPECIALLY if I get the foote fellow, since I want to double major in two majors with very few similar GEs.</p>

<p>Plus, the weekend will give me a chance to see the campus, something that my family hadn’t planned yet.</p>

<p>Make sure she made the reservation. The Singer weekend on Feb 26-27 is full. There is another one on March 26-27.</p>

<p>Miami is actually really big on double majors and is great about giving credit for APs. My daughter is triple majoring (marine science/biology/chemistry). She is able to do this because Miami gave her 38 credits for her 11 APs. She started out technically as a sophomore, and with more credits than most sophomores would have at that point. She is not a Foote Fellow, so that is not necessary in order to avoid most freshmen classes.</p>

<p>I never thought I would end up at Miami before attending the Singer Weekend but couldn’t be happier that I am here. The Foote Fellow program is great, and it is also really nice having a significant scholarship because I don’t have to worry about affording college. Definitely attend one of the Singer weekends and be open to the idea of attending Miami.</p>

<p>hey i found out today that im a finalist for the singer scholarship. in the email it says that i have to fly down for an interview, so i was wondering whether in the past miami has provided any of the money for the trip, such as plane tickets, hotels, etc. thanks for any info anyone can provide.</p>

<p>In the past, Miami pays for the hotel and some of the meals. You pay for car rental and airplane TX for you and your family. Parents/siblings are welcome.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>I just went this past weekend. Miami didn’t pay for anything, although they provide dinner on Friday and lunch on Saturday. It is TOTALLY worth the cost, though.</p>

<p>If you get notification of this does this mean that it is likely to hear good news from schools such as Brown and Penn?</p>

<p>if i interview for the singer and end up not getting it, could i still get some other scholarship, such as the 24k one?</p>

<p>Anyone offered a chance to interview for the Singer Scholarship receives the $24,000. Oftentimes they will give people $2000 or $3000 more on top of the $24000 scholarship if they don’t receive the Singer Scholarship.</p>

<p>Kraziespaghetti-
Did Miami pay your hotel bill?</p>

<p>My son is Singer?Foote fellow and a good friend just called me that her daughter got a singer invite. I told her the hotel was paid. Is this not the case?</p>

<p>Last year it was paid for. (Feb. 2009) They also had shuttle buses to and from campus and a few meals included.</p>