Stamps/Singer March 20-21

@underasail wow thats awesome, congrats! :slight_smile: would you mind posting your stats for us who are curious?

-Unweighted GPA: 3.97 (My school has an interesting GPA scale, so on a standard college scale (ie:100-93 being an A) I have a 4.00.

-Weighted GPA: Again, my school has an odd weighting system and I’m not overly familiar with the standard 5 point scale, but with our scale (one point added for an honors course and two points added for the second semester of an AP course, it counts as honors the first) I have a 5.11.

-Courses: 5 Academic Courses, 13 Honors Courses, 8 AP Courses

-Class Rank: 2nd out of 479

-ACT Scores: Composite: 34, English: 32, Math: 32, Reading: 35, Science: 36

-AP Scores: World: 4, Environmental: 5, Chemistry: 5, AB Calculus: 5, US History: 5, and I am currently taking BC Calculus, Physics I and II, and Biology

-ECs: I am the captain of the sailing team at my high school (4 years) , I am also a Unified Partner for the local Special Olympics sailing team (3 years), I am in National Honor Society at my high school (3 years, 1 year as PR Committee Head), I am also in Beta Club (2 years)

-Work Experience: I worked at a yacht club in Maine as the head race instructor and assistant sailing instructor over the summer between Junior and Senior year.

-Honors/Awards: My school doesn’t really give awards until the end of senior year, so all I have is the AP Scholar with Distinction from Junior year.

If you’d like to know anything else, please let me know. I was very much myself in the interview. I was comfortable with the people who interviewed me, and I thought it went incredibly well.

@underasail‌- It’s a legit message 
 congrats!!

Thank you @Sally_Rubenstone‌. I was initially sceptical because I couldn’t find the woman who called me on Miami’s website, but after more searching, I did. I was pretty sure a major institution wouldn’t pull a prank this meaningful.

@underasail‌ That’s wonderful, congratulations! :slight_smile: So it sounds like we should all know within the next day or so!

Thank you @chris17mom!

Want to see whether we are the ones who has this issue OR others also got a similar UM FinAid offer.

Last week, my S got the FinAid letter (& a copy in email) that shows his $26K President’s Scholarship under the header “Grants and scholarships from your school”, and a small work study/loan options. We couldn’t find ANY need based grant money at all!!!

If we run the College Board NPC from UM website, My S should be getting a lot of grant money. UM FinAid offer seems completely incorrect. We sent an email to UM asking for clarification. Not sure when or whether they will respond!!!

Hmmm, I know we don’t qualify for need-based aid, so I wasn’t looking for that. But yes, call the financial aid department and ask them!

Anybody get a call today? Im still waiting and more anxious than ever

No! And now my son is not sure about his first choice school, so an answer from U Miami would be really helpful right about now. I still don’t even know if the school is an option for us! :frowning:

Has anyone else heard any replies or updates on when decisions will be released?

Still nothing. :frowning:

I usually read here and don’t post, but wanted to let those of you still waiting to hear from UM know I am commiserating with you
 the waiting is/was unbearable! I’m @underasail ‘s Mom, and we feel very fortunate to (a) already have heard about the Singer Scholarship, and (b) already know that one was awarded to him. He did receive a personal call from the admissions office late in the day on 4/1 congratulating him on his selection as a Singer Scholar (since we absolutely did not expect an actual phone call, and since he had been told that morning when he called that it might be another week to ten days before students were notified, and since it was April Fools’ Day, we were excited but truth be told a tad nervous about believing the whole thing!) - but it was another two days before he received an email and was able to see the award on his Financial Aid page. We are very grateful, and we’re hoping that all of you here on CC hear good news very soon! Happy Easter!

So we were finally notified today that my son was NOT selected as a Singer/Stamps scholarship winner. However, they gave him another grant of $4000 (Gables Scholarship). So if I’m doing the math right and they don’t take away money from the other scholarships and grants they gave him, they would be giving him about $41,500 in aid. Which is phenomenal and almost a full-tuition scholarship anyways! This makes UM totally affordable for us! However my son is now leaning towards U Richmond I believe, which is also a great choice. But he is still not sure, and this could be a game changer. So all in all, I’m pretty happy with these results! :slight_smile:

Glad you finally got an answer, @chris17mom, and you’re right - his total aid is very close to the full tuition scholarship! Good choices abound

@spamyamy‌ Thanks!!! I am actually quite happy with this! :slight_smile:

@chris17mom Congrats on the additional $$. Something to keep in mind - scholarship $$ stay constant but tuition/room/board $$ go up every year
plus the incidentals (books, travel to & from school etc.) can add up.

@wistfulthinking‌ Yes, that’s true. And U Miami is still one of the more expensive options for us, but it’s now coming in around $16,000 total for room and board (this year anyways). I don’t factor in books, expenses or travel for any of the schools, since I’ll be paying those costs anywhere, though they could vary somewhat of course. All in all, $16,000 is a fantastic price for UM, and it’s high on my son’s very short list of schools he’s picking from. In fact, it’s pretty much coming down to just UM or U Richmond! So we will see what happens! I’m very happy with this price, and it is basically do-able for us, so it will really just be a matter of which school my son prefers after we visit Richmond next week. They are both great schools, but very different, so I can’t wait to find out which one he picks. :slight_smile:

@chris17mom - let us know what he decides. It’s wonderful that he has two great options!

Not sure why they are informing in batches. We have not received any update in spite of attending the Singer interview long long ago ie., in January 2015. 2 weeks ago we sent an email to UM asking for status. No response yet.