TAMU Holistic review candidates Class of 2022

Do y’all think that being an IB Diploma student will give me an advantage over other review applicants?

@HopefullyanAggie it certainly can’t hurt if those are like taking AP classes and you got good grades in them. What are the rest of your stats?

Hi there! My daughter received her updated transcript. She went from 10.5% to 9.5% and increased her GPA. Should she send it and a letter explaining why it increased to Admissions?

@beckistew I believe ll documentation to be used in the admissions process was due January 10. Have you thought of calling A&M?

Does anyone have an idea when the next wave might be?

Several others were mentioning that a Howdy portal update is a good sign. My son’s portal has been saying 1/8/18 and now just updated to 1/10/18. Is it strange it didn’t update to today’s date (1/25)? Is this a good sign or am I just grasping at straws? Waiting for the decisions is unbearable!

My son’s still says 01/08/18. Extremely unbearable when you have other schools waiting. I hope he hears something in the next month.

@beckistew… at 10.5% I have no doubt she will get in regardless, but doesn’t hurt to call in and chat with admissions about it! What were her test scores?

Regarding howdy update… those seem to update at random and we haven’t seen any correlation between that and acceptance. HOWEVER, if the major changes to 2nd choice then for sure you will get tabs following day and then acceptance. If 1st major isn’t full, then you won’t see that change, fyi… so don’t lose hope!

@AggieMomhelp Thank you for the encouragement! I did the online chat yesterday and they said the deadline has passed. My daughter has already asked the school to forward the updated transcript. I hope that doesn’t count against her. She’s also wanted to send a letter to Admissions stating that A&M is her #1 choice. Any thoughts on that? She doesn’t want to annoy them. Her SAT is 1170 with a 3.97 GPA at end of Junior year, now it is 4.0. She took two dual credit classes last semester and is taking 2 now. Made A’s in both. She wanted to include that in the letter.

Does anyone know when the next wave will be, or what days the waves are usually on? On twitter they said they were hoping to have most of the decisions sent out by Feb. 10th and all students should hear back by March. It’s getting closer now and I swear I check my portal 10 times a day lol. I know UT usually sends out their decisions on Fridays, but does A&M have a specific day?

Application Date: 11/2/2017
and Class Rank: 612/1077 (barely not top half)
ACT Composite
SAT: 1270
College applied for: science
Major in that College: biology
ECs: tons of ecs
500 hours of community service, president of ncl chapter, won state science fair houston and local science fair, danced at a studio all four years, track and field at hs, math honor society, third in peoples choice at miss texas, miss fort bend county teen, competed at miss texas, hosted many charitable events as a title holder, dance team officer, student council, deca, teen assistant at church, my persons foundation, historical treasurer for ncl, french symposium, lifeguard, year round babysitter.
Did you do all 3 essays: yes
What is your highlight that you feel will make you stand out in the review process? I have a rare auto immune disease that was not treated or diagnosed until junior year. I wrote about that and how it affected my GPA and class rank severely.
In state/Out of State: in state
Current Status on AIS: complete and in review

please chance me! any feedback is incredibly appreciated!

I just asked admissions through the online chat when they would have decisions for the early action people for engineering and all i got was that we should expect decisions in the following weeks.

@tagee2: I hope that you receive a full admissions offer! Hopefully your essays and LORs reflect what is special about you and your story impacts the reviewer. But all of the Top 10% in TX who apply have to be admitted by State of TX law, and there are a thousands of Academic Admits, and that leaves very few seats for the holistic review applicants. Last year, out of the 27,000 holistic reviewed applications, there were only 3,800 full admissions offers. It will be interesting to see how many applications were submitted to TAMU for Fall 2018.

My youngest daughter, who has similar stats to yours (unweighted gpa 3.5, SAT 1250 (670 verbal), ACT 27, class rank 53%) was offered Blinn-TEAM last year (Fall 2017) and it has turned out to be a great option for her as she is loving “living the Aggie life in Aggieland”! She earned As and Bs last Semester, joined a Sorority and a fun campus group and has made a lot of great friends. She will major in something in the College of Liberal Arts but has at least one Blinn-TEAM friend who plans to be either a Biology or Biomedical Sciences major.

I don’t know much about the Gateway option at TAMU but I have heard that students with a medical issue are sometimes offered Gateway. Those students attend TAMU in the Summer after their Senior HS year and if they fulfill all of the requirements, they are full admits for the Fall. I have heard that the Summer Gateway program can be expensive, but that was from someone out of state.

You might check out the info on Gateway and Blinn-TEAM on the TAMU website in just case you are offered one of those options. They are both great options and a wonderful opportunity to be an Aggie. There are just not enough seats for everyone who wants to be an Aggie, so thankfully, TAMU has created options to offer to good, well rounded students who are squeezed out of full admissions. The Blinn-TEAM advisers mentioned that they really want the students who are offered Blinn-TEAM (there were only 2,400 Blinn-TEAM offers in 2017 and only about 1,050 accepted that offer) as they think those students will thrive at TAMU.

Good luck!

@tagee2 you will be in the mix for Gateway. Given your essay was about your challenge, it will identify your application as one to consider. If you do get gateway - take it very seriously - my son’s future roommate was kicked out for not making grades in the summer session. They take the GPA cutoff very seriously. Good luck!

@AggieMomAgain @AGmomx2 Thank you very much for your responses! I am glad your daughter likes Blinn Team! TAMU is my first choice school and Blinn team or gateway would defiantly be an honor! I did write about my challenge and i really hope it helps them get a better understanding of why my rank is so low. Hopefully we hear back soon. The anticipation is killing me. Thanks for the feed back :slight_smile:

Do y’all have any indication of a wave tomorrow?

Thanks all in advance for the info. Question: has anyone received outright rejections yet? Haven’t heard. Our son is in 2nd qtr of class, 3.5 uw gpa, 33 ACT, target major comp sci, in-state, did all essays. Applied Oct 10. Still no word. Thx

Rejections won’t be done until the very end. Like March

@tagee2 I was admitted into biology the first week of January with a similar SAT (1280)! although your gpa may hurt you a little in my opinion you’re a great candidate especially since there will also be blinn team and gateway offers!

Have any out of state non-auto admits heard anything yet?