TAMU Holistic review candidates Class of 2022

@labegg thank you and yes he did get his acceptance to UT Austin about a week ago but really has his heart set on TAMU, just hoping for the best in getting into the Engineering Program. Hopefully your inner physic is right lol

@AggieMomAgain What a great story about your daughter! It gives me hope for my own. Some kids from our high school move to other high schools, some in the same district, and go from bottom 50% to top 10% overnight. It’s kind of unfair in my opinion, but our bottom 50% kids are probably more ready for college course rigor than the top 10% at the less competitive high schools. We shall see what happens with my daughter’s application. If she is denied, we will definitely appeal. That’s a great idea. She did do essay A (I believe it was A) on her path from her bad start in high school to eventually adding in harder classes and making straight A’s. It’s really very apparent on her transcript, but her essay helps to explain the situation in detail. Keeping fingers crossed!

Hi , My application status says it under review. I would like to know when I can expect to hear about admission decisions. Also for early applicants, will the extended deadline now extend the review admissions decisions as well. I am not keen on any other college but A&M . I am anxious to know if I will be accepted or not irrespective of the major requested.
Thank you.

@ChennaiAg that is the million dollar question. Most recent years holistic review students started hearing in December. These were typically your top 20% with better than avg test scores. Then it conintued on with those that have high rankings but lower than avg test scores finding out in feb. Everyone else in between. Hopefully the delay in deadlines will not impact those that were fortunate enough to get apps and supporting documents but who knows. Majors should not impact decisions on admission.

Hope this helps. Keep the faith!

@YourCollegeMom thanks for the invaluable info! This thread has been so helpful!

What would be considered average or below average SAT score? Just curious to see where my daughter falls. TIA

@FingersCrossedAgMom 1250 is about average. My son got a 1200 but his act was a 28,so better than sat score. I’ve known so many that had really low act scores and still get in (like low 20s). I really believe they (admissions) make a good assessment based on everything and not just focus on one thing.

I’m glad you like the thread. There’s power in numbers going through the same thing!!!

I emailed the Office of Admissions regarding a possible delay in review admit decisions and they said that the extended deadline will not effect when decisions come out. Hopefully review admits will start hearing in December as per usual. Best of luck to everyone! Hopefully we will all be Aggies soon!

Application Date: 10/8/17
GPA and Class Rank: 4.01 and 10.8%
ACT Composite
SAT 1100
College applied for: Liberal Arts
Major in that College: Psychology
ECs: Athletics, Varsity Cheer, NHS, Student Council, Prom Committee, Young Life, tons of volunteering including Miracle League and Youth Advisory Board for Souperbowl of Caring
Did you do all 3 essays: You bet
What is your highlight that you feel will make you stand out in the review process? Not sure - EC’s and Leadership maybe essays
In state/Out of State: In
Current Status on AIS: Complete and in review

Can anyone give any guidance on the importance of recommendations and how to submit them?

I can’t speak to their importance, but the recommendation on the A&M website to submit LOR’s through AIS did not work for us. My D’s recommenders were not able to use the link sent to them through AIS, and I confirmed with the admin office that this is a known problem. They recommended that my D upload her own recommendationsnthrough her AIS account, but by School policy she is verbotten from seeing these. In the end, we had the recommenders mail them in. Your kid needs to print out a form from AIS with their AIS number and mail this with any hard copy documents so the documents can be associated with the correct student.

@helimom3 is your daughter able to see hers? My son uploaded his in Ais. Super easy. They did not come from the school. He had one from a leadership camp and the other from an individual. lORs are not essential. If you have one from a prominent person or alumni then they could matter but honestly I’ve known a lot of people that got in that didn’t have one at all. I think you should always provide more than asked just so you know you’ve done it all and have no regrets of what if. But are they super important, probably the least thing that matters on an application package. This is just my opinion and experience.

My D’s are being written by A&M alumni that know her well so they were fine with giving them to us to upload which wie will do this weekend or next week. We just decided to get a few as it can’t hurt. As you said, we don’t want to wonder “what if”.

@helimom3 absolutely! Super easy to upload. But if you have any trouble jump back on here. Happy to help if necessary!

Application date:14 October
Completed application with transcripts and LOR on 26th
I am International student so gpa measurement is different
9th grade:89%
10th grade:90%
11th:80%
12th:85%
Sat:1370(750 math and 620EBRW)
Sat subject tests:Maths level2(760) and Physics (750)
Toefl:108
College applied:college of engineering
Major:computer engineering
ECs:
National level football(9 grade)
Selected to represent india in nepal for football tournament.
Internship in quality assurance department at a wheel rim manufacturing factory(during 10 holidays)
Social work volunteer at pumpkin house for children trust(during 10 holidays)
Offered opportunity to attend football camp in Sweden(9 grade)
District level roll ball(11 grade)
Offered trip to nasa by securing rank in national astronomy Olympiad(class 8)
Co-curricular headboy of school(10 grade)
3years in student council(2 out of 3 years before 9)
Board of director member of rotary interact club.(7 and 8 grade)
Played drum in school throughout school and even during 11 grade)
Anchoring and conducting the school annual show(grade 10)
Professional course in c programming language(grade 11)
took professional course in basic german(grade 11)
Winner at interschool drama competition(grade 8)
District level table tennis(grade 9)
Took part in various environmental drives,blood donation camps etc
Attempted many Olympiads like national science Olympiad,international English Olympiad,national cyber Olympiad during grade 9
Did I do all 3 essays:no
My highlight:NASA invite and also the fact that despite I didnt have good facilities I excelled studying on my own.
In state/out of state:International (Indian)
Current status on AIS:Under review
Please chance me everyone I am extremely tensed

I’m not sure how to correlate your GPA to US standards, but if you are top 5-10% based on the school profile your school provided that’s in range. Your EC’s are very impressive! Good luck.

The limit on LOR is two. I know they use them for honors selection. Anything submitted for the file can be used/viewed for admissions of review applicants, it would be part of the 50% ‘everything else submitted’ that is considered for the decision (the other 50% is scores & rank). It certainly can only help, I’d imagine they’d also chalk it up to ‘interested in TAMU’ since it isn’t required. No data…just a guess.

I’m just curious, do they read all 3 essays for holistic review candidates?

@Trommald there is conflicting info on that. When I called to find out why DD’s essay C was not showing up on her myhowdy, she had submitted all 3 essays at the same time, I was told they had it, but to not be concerned that it did not show, the only time they read it is if you have applied for scholarship consideration.

Others here have received conflicting info.

safest thing to do is… always do more than is required. It shows interest and dedication. Just my opinion.

@Labegg that is the standard answer for an automatic admit ( top 10% or academic). Keep in mind vast majority of admits are in that category.