***University of Wisconsin-Madison Fall 2017 Thread***

Not unless you hear by Fri.

does anyone think we will find out before the end of January?

We 100% will, according to the website and twitter/facebook.

[Quote=UWAdmissionsTwitter]
Sorry, we don’t post release dates, but the latest EA applicants will hear is the end of Jan. We know it’s tough to wait!

When did the regular deadline change to 2/1? Or has it always been that date? For some reason I had the impression it was 1/1.

It was never 1/1, I thought it was 1/31 but it’s 2/1.

OK thanks @Madison85.

IMHO, the timing is really weird. You apply EA by 11/1 and then you wait up to three months for a decision. You apply RD by 2/1 and you wait up to two months. Shouldn’t it be the other way around? Isn’t the RD pool usually larger given the EA-deferreds and the regular RD kids? That would suggest more time needed to make final decisions.

I’m wondering if it’s the case that UW-Madison has become everyone’s favorite backup school. If so, then a good number of EA’s are applying ED somewhere else. The 1/31 response date allows plenty of time for those ED-Accepteds to drop out. Thus, UW-Madison has an accurate pool of EA kids before final decisions go out. They can also pick off the kids who don’t bother to submit 1st sem. grades (do they automatically get deferred? Can’t remember). In a sense, their pool of EA’s are kids who actually wish to have a decision made on them.

The 2/1 regular deadline makes sense under the “backup theory” as well, because it encourages everyone to apply RD only if they need to. Plenty of time to submit after Winter Break if you are dinged from your first choice on 12/15; if you are accepted, you don’t need to send anything to UW-Madison at all. This has to cut down on the number of unnecessary applications. So again, they have an accurate pool of applicants for regular decision.

Perhaps this timing is the easiest way for them to improve their yield, which is currently at 39% (not bad for a state school!). University of Michigan (yield is 45%) has EA (11/1) with a release date of “no later than” 12/24, and a regular deadline of - wait for it - 2/1. In contrast, UMN has a Priority deadline of 11/1 with rolling decisions beginning early Oct. UMN’s yield is 28%. UW-Madison either sees itself as a LOT closer to U-Mich. (USNews Ranking 27th) than to UMN (USNews ranking 71st), OR it’s facing the same situation that U-Mich faces which is that kids applying to the Ivies and equivalent either through SCEA or ED are choosing a top state school for a backup.

@JBStillFlying Well, that was me applying to an Ivy. So you aren’t wrong their. Still got some choices I hope see fruition.

@HipHopIsMade - except that you are in the enviable situation of having already been admitted. I think that removes you from being supporting evidence :wink:

Has Madison sent any denial or acceptance letters out for EA?

Frankly, who cares what other schools do. UW gets to be itself. The notifications are better than in the past for impatient HS students. Remember, there is no obligation to attend once accepted. Knowing before the end of March gives students time to apply to other state schools. Despite its national presence UW is still a state school serving mainly state residents look at enrollment figures).

@wis75 I’m not sure UW-Madison is “doing it’s own thing” - if it was that’s not happening anymore. The population of WI college-age kids is shrinking and they have lifted the cap on OOS admissions. These kids are a significant source of revenue.

Last year nearly 46% of the admitted pool was OOS domestic students (non-MN), compared to about 1/3 WI residents. Obviously the yields on these two groups has been very different, which explains why WI residents make up around 58% of “matriculees” in the end (and OOS-Non-MN only 24%). Of the overall 37% yield, MN and WI residents are well above that, while OOS domestic and international are well below. By changing things around with notification deadlines they can very easily raise yield rates. My contacts in the Eastern US are telling me that increasingly WI is coming up on the radar of schools to apply to. One pointed out that it’s ranked well above the SUNY schools, for instance, so that even despite the significant difference in in-state vs. OOS tuition for New Yorkers, Wisconsin is just viewed more favorably by upper income families. It’s cheaper than U-Mich, and the latter doesn’t have the room for everyone anyway :smiley:

It’s officially UW-Madison admission decision month!

Now we wait 31 days.

Data is just data. You can manipulate it all you want.For every individual the answer is 100% in or not.

“For every individual the answer is 100% in or not.”

Yes - on 2/1.

Does anyone think in staters will hear anytime before February first??

We will. Early Action people that is.

Anyone else thinking of a ritual to do before they open their application? I am going to do to cartwheels,flip a water bottle, then open it.

Every year the students at my school are at a basketball game when they find out. So being a little superstitious I’m gonna go to every basketball game this month