***University of Wisconsin-Madison Fall 2017 Thread***

Is everyone’s status still the same? Mine has said, “Will be reviewed” since forever and I applied early.

Not sure it matters when you applied as long as it was by 11/1. The evidence points to one notification date for EA.

@aimlesswriter it says “will be reviewed” for me as well. I applied September 1st.

@JBStillFlying Haha, sorry, I meant I applied early action.

Is there a reason schools do not have Early Decision? If anything it would just increase their yield rate and lower acceptance rate.

@SoldMa4YaleAdmit Well, Early Decision is considered cancer to many people. You have to remember, you are bound, and many students with above average stats do not want to be bound. A state school like Wisconsin looks for two things in EA: OOS students that can increase their overall stats and students that pay full tuition, and students in state that are ethnically diverse to increase USNEWS and other rankings and global rankings. Like, in state kids that I personally know who are minorities get in with 17 ACT scores, and I have heard rumors of a 14 ACT getting in. The 17 is a fact, but he was also hispanic and a part of the Peoples Program. Now, as a public institution, they really, really shouldn’t push something as early decision. They are not a private college, and Wisconsin does need-blind admissions. For a state school, they would pay out of pocket for every student who got in and couldn’t afford it. These students would be bound, and would not be able to leave the agreement without the university telling all other colleges,
“Yep, this kid broke the contract”. You are now an automatic turn off for every school that you applied. A state school, at the end of the day, should provide the state education, not a private one. Also, be happy that Madison’s acceptance rate is pretty high. I mean, it’s ranked number 28 globally, and is one of the best research universities in the world, in the top five or ten. I mean, Early Decision is cool in my boat, I got deferred from an Ivy so I will wait until March, but personally, a state school should just stick with early action.

I hope that the acceptance letter includes whether they are accepted to honors and scholarships.

No, the admission decision won’t include scholarship awards or honors acceptances.

What made you guys fall in love with Madison?

@SoldMa4YaleAdmit i grew up in Milwaukee so being two hours away made Madison feel like a lively city. I went in a visit and it was tru. I love the energy on Saturday’s when the city gets electric with the excitement of a football game. I love that the university promotes a high level of education while still offering all the clubs you want. Being a want to be music major and math major, I found Madison would be the best fit for my passions

Sorry for my typos, I’m typing on my phone and it has water damage

D17 loves the vibe of the city and the campus. Wants a school with great academics. For us in MN, this is a no-brainer just due to the reciprocity agreement.

No good reason to have early decision at UW. Some of the best students will apply after being denied it from other schools. UW should not be forcing the top students to take a more sure thing instead of choosing a more elite school.

Agree with @wis75 ^^. Also, keep in mind that ED is a nice way for the tippy-tops to allow the kids to select themselves into the “really want to be here” group and everyone else. When you get a plethora of top stats, excellent recs, and EC’s packed full of leadership and promise, it might be the best way to distinguish among these top applicants. This scenario doesn’t quite apply to UW which, first, has a strong commitment to educating its state residents and, second, sees a whole lot of talent in the regular decision pool. Neither points to ED as a smart strategy. Also, at the margin (sorry - economist here!), with ED a college tends to trade off stats for the up-front commitment. That might not matter too much at a private college with a few thousand applicants, but will definitely matter at a large state flagship with tens of thousands of applications. The latter will be depending more heavily on stats to select college-ready and good-fit candidates, just due to the volume of applications to get through.

Arg! I just want decisions to come out! Do you guys think its more competitive this year?

@EllieRosie I’m not an expert on this, but I think it will be a lot more competitive this year due to Madison being on Common App. They probably received a lot more applications this year.

Will our portals be updated first? or will we get an email? where is the first place that I should look when decisions come out

This is what I saw in the Twitter:
“Applicants will receive an email saying they have an admission decision they can view in their Student Center on MyUW.”

Ok everyone, I just got news that in the Madison area, decisions have been made. They may just be out branching to special programs, but from what I heard, it may be the Madison area in general. I will inform you when my area gets decisions.

@HipHopIsMade Just wondering where you heard that news? I hope that the Madison area hears soon however since UW-Madison has said that they aren’t doing rolling admission anymore I wonder what will happen!