***University of Wisconsin-Madison Fall 2017 Thread***

@CCwillendme UW Madison has more international recognition, while ann arbor seems to pay US News more money. I do not know, but Madison is better at research, and has the best college town in the united states.

I’ll agree 100% on the college town. Madison’s location is wonderful because it’s so close to Chicago but is still up near woods and lakes. The terrace is probably the best location anywhere for students to hang out.

CWUR places Michigan a bit ahead of Wisconsin;however, both are pretty high on the list.

http://cwur.org/about.php

Wisconsin definitely has a lot of class-A faculty.

@HipHopIsMade UMich has the most research money of any school in the United States as of last year. They seem to be better than UW in every category. Plus, UW is having trouble with state funding.

@FirstToRise - do you mean “every public school”? Surely some of the top private uni’s will dominate in terms of research funds (and rankings).

@JBStillFlying You may be right, but I remember them boasting about having over a billion dollars of research money and being number one. It may have been among public schools, but I’m pretty sure it was overall.

https://ncsesdata.nsf.gov/profiles/site?method=rankingBySource&ds=herd

@UWfromCA that’s an interesting ranking - was thinking more of money devoted to faculty grants etc. as opposed to physical plant but maybe I’m misinterpreting what “R&D” means.

Many research positions actually don’t require a lab, although having the physical plant to support top-notch research in the physical and bio. sciences is a must for a research university. We know plenty of families who are concerned with that issue even for their undergraduates. Top faculty attract top grad students and that in turn trickles down to the undergraduate reputation.

What I like about UW is that when you look at peer reviews, they are ranked very high and probably slightly behind Michigan. That’s what CWUR says, and when I’ve bounced off relative rankings of these schools against university faculty that I know, they pretty much say the same thing. You don’t need to be a top-notch research institution to offer a decent-to-excellent undergraduate experience; however, the two tend to be highly correlated.

Look at the campus layout for each school. UW is contiguous and all Res Halls dorms are on the same campus. Michigan seems to be different (you can do the research). The two are comparable for academics- you can nitpick the details but both offer undergrads stellar departments. The best one becomes an individual preference based on many subjective factors. Either will give a good college experience, both for academics and the rest.

Visited both. They both have their advantages. Both amazing campus environment, teachers and programs.Who are we to say which is better for an individual? Depends on what you want, what you can give and where you want to go.
Getting the opportunity is awesome.

What kind of notification/letter do you get if you are accepted to your second choice major? Would it be a normal acceptance letter or would it indicate that you’ve been deferred/waitlisted/rejected from the first choice?

@tb123 that happened to my friend last year. It just was a regular acceptance letter but it said that they were admitted to their second choice school

anyone else get the email from UW admissions today and get really excited only to realize it was just a reminder about RD deadline

I didn’t get that email… hmm

No email here either.

@mad4madtown I actually got that after I got accepted, but take that as you will.

@HipHopIsMade when were you accepted?

I wouldn’t read to much into it… It’s probably just because I’m subscribed to their emails

I want to get into Wisconsin so freaking bad. It’s my favorite school in the entire world.

so from the looks of the thread it seems to come out this year on the 31st at night because thats when it came out last year. Does anyone have reason to believe that it comes out earlier than it did last year?

Prediction: Jan. 31 at 7 pm CT.