***University of Wisconsin-Madison Fall 2017 Thread***

It’s very misleading

Usually if you get in, you get some sort of communication saying Congratulations you got in, or something to that effect.

Has anyone received their EA decision yet? when do they release first set of decisions?

^^By January 31st

@Madison85 I know that I will hear back by then but when is the earliest i can find out?

@maicenstuart that’s a hard one to answer as it seems to vary by tuition residency and can differ year to year. Last year, the in-state residents started to hear back around mid-December; however, that was later than they were expecting compared to earlier years. OOS didn’t hear back before Jan. 31.

The earliest is today…any time between right now and January 31st.

@JBStillFlying OOS didn’t hear back before January 31 even if they applied EA?

It wasn’t called EA last year. But yes - OOS people who applied in the first notification period apparently didn’t hear back until the end of January.

I heard rumors that this will be another year where notification of admission decisions is made on the later end - what with the resignation of the head of admissions and the appointment in August of an interim director of admissions.

The head of admissions resigned? What happened?

She took a job in San Diego:

http://adminrecords.ucsd.edu/Notices/2016/2016-7-13-1.html

Oh, well, that’s very good news for the individual. SD is a great school!

Even with the same admissions team in place, delays can easily happen due to a higher-than-expected volume of applications or a change in admissions policy or even using a different application interface. This is the first year using the Common Ap. and for all we know applications were up significantly as a result.

D17 is out of state (MN). She has very good stats so we expect her to be admitted; however, not really counting on knowing anything before Jan. 31.

I have also heard rumors that decisions will be out later this year. Maybe not even starting until January.

Man, that sucks. I have only heard back from 2 out of the 6 colleges I have applied to and I am getting very anxious.

Oh, damn. That means I have to send in my regular decision apps before I get my decision. :frowning:

@maicenstuart , that’s nice! What all Universities did u get admitted to?

This is what I found from last year January 31st…lots of answers:
Rejected
Act 29, super scored 31
3.8 GPA
OOS NY
Interesting as I got rejected from Miami as well this weekend but accepted to Tulane, Indiana Kelley school of business, and only deferred from Michigan. Oh well, congrats to everyone who got in!
Accepted!!!
1980 SAT
3.90 GPA (uw), 4.2 (w)
class rank N/A, but within the top 9%
Great Recs/ Essays/ ECs

IL
33 ACT
91/100 GPA
Very Competitive HS
Straight axed, very disappointed

Postponed
33 ACT
3.98 W GPA
Great extracurriculars/ recs/ essays imo

Got deferred by Northwestern earlier and now this … don’t even know what to say

Accepted
Illinois
33 ACT
3.53 unweighted GPA/3.85 weighted gpa—brother goes there right now.
Had a strong upward trend.

OOS postponed……GPA 3.85, SAT 1950, lots of AP’s and extra-currics……sad……

Postponed. California 1940 SAT and 3.7 UW gpa. Lots of leadership and extracurriculars.

ACCEPTED
CT Resident
30 ACT
2030 SAT
3.86 Weighted GPA
5 AP classes

I posted because you never know. I think they do really read the essays and the recommendations. I think everything you can do to increase your chances like killing it senior year and get your grades posted as soon as you know them under the self-reporting portal does matter. If they hold off like they did last year till the end of January it’s all worth it.

@FIN2187 so far I have been admitted to Purdue University and Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. I am waiting to hear back from the University of Illinois, Wisconsin of course, University of Colorado - Boulder, and Georgia Tech

@Seacoast thanks for posting. It does look like it’s all over the place. Wondering, however about some of those GPA’s - they don’t say they are unweighted (or don’t give the unweighted value). And anything under 2000 or so SAT (30 ACT) is risking postponement if you are OOS.

This year it has to be at least as competitive due to the availability of the common ap. Even if you have great stats, they might take a good hard look at first sem. senior grades, if they hadn’t been doing so already.