***University of Wisconsin-Madison Fall 2017 Thread***

Yes - we knew that all L&S admits would be invited. D is currently listed as “pursuing admission to the Wisconsin School of Business” so I didn’t want her to to be left out. If she attends UW she may well remain in L&S.

waiting for fincial aid package which decides whether I am going to write the essays or not…

L&S Honors – all admitted students are invited to apply. As a parent, I appreciate the recognition that all admitted students are capable of contributing to Honors work, but not everyone may be interested in pursuing it. If admitted to Honors, one can do as much or as little as you choose. To graduate with Honors in the Liberal Arts, one needs to meet Honors gen eds and depth requirements. It is quite do-able, but only if the student wants to do it. It is not a separate college experience, there are no Honors dorms. Students do it because they want to, not because it looks good on paper somewhere.

If Honors app is consistent with past practice – the deadline is specific to you, the individual student. So don’t forget.

do we need to self-report our grades if we have been admitted

@tomato17 - wondering that as well! She’s received at least three e-mails in the last 18 hours but none of them tell her to update her grades. The window is on her Student Center, however. She’s awaiting notification in a major academic competition so prefers to wait till much later in February to be sending updates. Is there a time limit?

I already included my mid-year report in my transcripts on Common App, do I still have to report them? - International student, applied RD

@nyanpasu - I would follow their instructions and use the link in Student Center (MyUW portal) just to be on the safe side. This is the first year that UW-Madison is on the Common Ap and they don’t have a permanent Admissions Director at this point. Also, they don’t require a Mid-Year report from the counselor because they rely on self-reporting via the Portal. You don’t want your information getting lost or not getting to your counselor because you sent it along via a different method.

UW-Madison doesn’t have a “College of Science and Engineering” or a “College of Liberal Arts” @wallowa .

The 23 ACT is low.

@wallowa Even with admission reciprocity with Minnesota residents, a 23 is on the very low end for UW admitted students. Do you have other acceptances in hand already, or applications pending at Minnesota public campuses?

For UMN Twin Cities, Engineering, that is a very competitive application and a 23 could be a real barrier. My kid was out of state applicant, not instate, and only Letters & Science, not engineering so we don’t have direct experience. UW for College of Engineering, and even College of Letters and Science, is uphill for a 23. Not impossible, with otherwise exceptional academics, but after 5 years of following admissions to UW on this board, a 23 is not a likely.

Iowa and Duluth are great options. Be careful about assuming can easily transfer into desired major at a school where you were not admitted to your preferred major. There will almost certainly by gpa requirements for specific departments, and for a first semester freshman, those are not necessarily easy grades to come by.

Does anyone know how good of a chance people who were deferred have at getting accepted now? Do deferrals typically end up as acceptances if first semester grades are strong?

I don’t think MN residents have a particular admission disadvantage at UW-Madison. If anything, they face a double-whammy: they don’t qualify under the WI state mandate to educate its residents, and they don’t bring in OOS tuition dollars. Over the past several years, UW-Madison has been scaling back it’s admission of MN students and, now that they have lifted the cap on OOS in general, it’ll be interesting to see just how many MN students are admitted this year. @wallowa can actually page back through this thread and also last year’s thread to see what the stats of admitted MN students happen to be.

@tomato17 my daughter just got the e-mail instructing her to report her mid-year grades.

@JBStillFlying was she accepted?

Erm well I just got the email asking me to report them. Do you think I should include a grade to percentage conversion in the comments section?

@tomato17 yes.

Hi
My son is from india he is asked ro report midyear grades .accepted for chemengg.preboards shd be kept or halfyearly.can anyone guide.

@mah half yearly.

The instructions on the video say report them exactly as they appear.

I havent received any emails about my application so I still don’t know if I got in but they asked me to update my grades. Did they send it by email or is it in the portal because I can’t find anything there either.