***University of Wisconsin-Madison Fall 2017 Thread***

Placement test registration opened today:

https://testing.wisc.edu/centerpages/regionaltesting.html

@fightingfilipino are you EA or RD? Your Student Center will tell you that. You should update your grades as instructed. They say failure to do so can result in a delayed or revoked decision.

@JBStillFlying My son applied RD after his first semester grades were posted, so they have his updated transcript. He did not get an email request, but I logged into his student center and there is a box to click open that says all freshman applicants need to self-report grades. Does this apply if they already have his official grades on the transcript? TIA

@uwalummom not sure. Many probably applied RD and sent in transcripts before the mid-year grades were reported (for instance, they applied in Dec. or early Jan.) so that’s probably why they send out the mid-year grade request and/or show the box in the student center for everyone. Probably makes sense to call them just to make sure. If he hasn’t received an e-mail he’s probably fine but it will give you peace of mind to call.

So, is there any one else out there that thought the UW should have given them a decision by now? Application material was all submitted back in October and I thought the UW website states decisions would get to people by the end of January if stuff was in by November 1. It is now February 1 and I’ve heard nothing. Is it just me or are there others wondering what’s going? I sent them an email about this, but have heard nothing back. Anyone else in the same boat?

@osmother what does your student center message read? Does it say you are being evaluated for an Early Action decision?

You mean the message (not the confirmation I received) in the student center portal that says something about a regular decision period (with no caps so not sure what they mean). I am fairly sure when application was submitted via common app back in early October, the common app itself had no choice for a “regular” or “early” decision period? Also not sure that the message in the portal always said “regular decision period” over the last 3 (?) months. If have to wait until the “regular” period because UW did not have the common app setup correctly in early Oct. that sucks. Also, not sure why UW admissions website would say this: “Students who apply by November 1 and complete their application in a reasonable time will receive a decision by the end of January.” You think I have to wait until end of March?

@osmother Check when you actually submitted the application. (Probably received an email or something). If you did in fact submit before the deadline send admissions an email asking for an explanation.

Thanks. I did send them an email but have heard nothing back. The application was actually sent on Oct. 11.

I’ll have to wait and try to remain patient. Obviously right now I am not feeling very patient and am feeling kind of grumpy with the UW at this point.

The email acknowledging the application does not specify early action or regular decision. The only acknowledgment of the specific applicant pool that you are in would be the message in your student center.

Also, the University of Wisconsin – Madison supplement to the common app did ask which decision plan was preferred. You were supposed to check either early action or regular decision. So double check your copy of the common app and your supplement to see what you checked. Finally you can also confirm when they downloaded your application materials because there should be a date stamp in the My college section of your common app account.

Thanks. I’ll check the common app account.

Again, I am fairly sure the common app for the UW did not have a “regular” or “early” choice radio button/check box or whatever it would have been at the time I submitted it. Maybe it did, but I am inclined to wonder if they did not have it setup correctly when I submitted it, since I would have chosen “early”. (I know they were still new on the common app so I am skeptical they had it setup correctly. My Mom works with these kinds of computer systems and says things could have been set up wrong.) I’ll check my common app account, but I am irritated, especially when their website says if you got stuff in by Nov. 1 they would give you a decision by Jan 31.

@osmother definitely check your copy and also contact the university. Quite possible that they didn’t have this option set up at the time. My own daughter completed her application several weeks before turning it in at the end of Oct. and we never noticed a glitch of that sort. But I suppose it can be completely a function of when you accessed the supplement.

Good luck to you!

Help! Has anyone heard about financial aid award offers yet? I was selected for verification and am wondering if other offers have come out?

Quick question…what does it mean to be asked to be in Honors if you are an Engineering Student. I thought it was only for LSA? I got an invitation to participate in honors does everyone? It’s kind of vague.

Does anyone know when Regular Decision admission notifications come out?

@Seacoast you have to hit the link on the e-mail. When you do, it takes you to their page of honors options, including this one: http://www.engr.wisc.edu/academics/undergraduate-academics/honors/

Can someone chance me please?

Hispanic
GPA: 3.7/4.0 W
SAT I: 1330
8 AP’s and 4 Honors
Out of State applicant
Class Rank: Not available

Extracurriculars: Strong (Model UN, StuCo, Volunteer Work, etc…)
Leadership: Political Board President of Student Coalition and Treasurer of a volunteer work organization
Varsity Tennis all 4 years
Worked at an Italian restaurant all 4 years of high school
Interned last summer in Mexico at a hotel resort
Silver Medalist in National French Contest
Essays: Mediocre
Recommendations: Strong

My son is also given honors option being international i dont understand after reading link also since indian system doesnt hv such honors can anyone detail me benefits in taking as admitted in chem engg direct will it be connected to course or addtn.thanks

Yeah there is not an Engineering option…that’s why I was confused. Would have to add Liberal Arts…yuck!