***University of Wisconsin-Madison Fall 2017 Thread***

I have been offered to join the BANNER program meaning that I don’t have to pay out of state tuition! Also, what are my chances of being admitted to the engineering program after my freshman year?

@maicenstuart What is your EFC? And did they explain why you qualified for the BANNER program??

I’ve also been offered a chance to be in the BANNER program!

That is so great for you guys! Congratulations. As far as being accepting to Engineering I think like every other school like this it’s competitive but not impossible - don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Call admissions and then talk to the Engineering dept. get the straight scoop. It will be difficult no doubt but set your mind to something and anything is possible! :-B

Thank You! Does anyone know if being offered BANNER would change my eligibility for the Chancellor’s program?

@Nickel99 Was your EFC from FAFSA $0? I’m just curious because I would like to know if I am eligible for the BANNER program myself.

@audrella yeah that was my EFC.

Oh ok thanks, do you happen to know what your families total income was around for the year?? @Nickel99

I’d say around 15K.

@audrella how much do you know about BANNER?

I just know that it’s a program for OOS students with crucial financial aid that gives you a full ride for all four years @Nickel99

Badger Aid for Non-Residents (BANNER) meets full financial need through grants, loans, work. So it’s not necessarily a “full ride”.

Wow, I didn’t even know BANNER existed. I was always under the impression that if you were from OOS you had to pay full price. As a taxpayer in Wisconsin, this has me concerned. What is the source of this aid? I hope it’s not state tax revenue. I don’t mean to sound small-minded, but I didn’t let my WI daughter apply to any OOS flagship public schools (except MN which has reciprocity with WI) because in my research, most OOS flagship public schools don’t offer any aid to OOS students and I knew we couldn’t afford an OOS flagship public school without aid. If the funding source for BANNER is private donations or federal aid, then I don’t have a problem with it. But if it’s state tax revenue, my state assembly representative will be hearing from me!

@NolaCAR I would imagine it falls under the bucket term “institutional aid” and that the UW has it as an option to ensure a diverse population.
We are in Wisconsin, too. My son applied to Iowa State and he received scholarship money as well as need-based grant aid (termed institutional aid). ISU wouldn’t be considered the “flagship” I guess, but it is definitely a public OOS.

@NolaCAR - Lots of state flagship public schools offer OOS scholarships targeted at high stats OOS students. Minnesota has the National Scholarship - up to $10K per year. Ohio State has the National Buckeye Scholarship - $12,500 per year plus the Maximus ($5K), Provost ($2500) & Trustee ($1500), University of Alabama offers up to full tuition in their scholarship. In my research, Wisconsin is in the minority. My S17 applied to 10 OOS schools and 1 IS school. He received acceptance to 8 (still waiting on 1) and merit from 5 of them (still waiting to hear from 3 including Wisconsin).

@audrella thanks I’m happy that it’s for all four years! Did you hear anything back yet?
Also, I’m blessed to not need any loans and received grants and work study.

Anyone doing SCE this summer?

@Nickel99 No I have not, I am waiting to hear back at the end of March about my admission decisions first. I am hoping there are still spots in the program for people who get in regular decision! My EFC is 591 though so I am not sure if I will qualify or not.

When should deferred/ RD applicants expect to hear back?

@audrella my EFC is 0 and I qualified for it because of how low my financial status is and because I am an OOS student, from Utah.