***University of Wisconsin-Madison Fall 2017 Thread***

@7islands - your gpa, EC’s and rec. letter are all fine. Your ACT is below the mean for enrolled in-staters; however, it’s still in the top 25% or so of ACT scores in the state (I’m eyeballing the chart so that’s an approximation). A lot depends on whether they consider a 26 to be sufficient. Not sure but my gut says you are probably ok. You might want to check last year’s thread to see if someone with similar GPA and ACT from WI made it in. Having a hook of some type (URM, first generation in college, etc.) will help too.

Good luck!

Was wondering if someone could chance me. Also, I heard that some admission decision were released last week. Is this true? If so how apart are he waves usually?

In state
30 ACT
3.7 weighted gpa 3.6 unweighted
Captain of a Christian club, played volleyball all 4 years, VP of student council, and also in DECA, SADD, and have had a job for a year.
Letters of rec were pretty good
Essays were good but not great I’m assuming
Sister goes there right now

ACT is fine and, in fact, they are actively seeking High ACT admits (defined to be 30-36). GPA is a bit low. They do have a 70% admit rate for in-state so the odds are in your favor.

Good luck!

ok so @JBStillFlying I think I need to hire you to follow me around and take this anxiety away. Your messages are so positive I love hopping on and seeing your messages…just sayin
This stress is getting to me, I am thinking it’s gonna be another week or two before I hear…UGH [-(

Was wondering if people could chance me as well…
In state
Unweighted GPA-3.95
ACT-26
6 AP classes
Varsity sport all 4 years. Captain 1 year
NHS officer
Key Club officer
Leader for Restorative Justice within school
Coach in the summer
Job throughout the year
Various volunteer experiences
3 letters of rec

@JBStillFlying Thank you! I should’ve also mentioned I’ve been in the youth apprenticeship program for two years as a veterinary assistant. (I want to be a veterinarian). I have surpassed the 1000 hour mark :slight_smile:

@Seacoast thank you for your kind words!

@Lulu2017 I think your chances are going to be similar to @7islands in #139-140. If you are holding down a part-time job that will definitely help your application. Good luck to you!

I just want to say that I got my letter yesterday, just telling you. Which means that once I got accepted on the 22 of November, it took nine days for my letter to come in through the mail.

Chances anyone?:
Out of state
ACT: 33
GPA UW: 3.75
GPA W: 4.29
8 APs
Varsity sport, various clubs, nhs, executive board for mentor program, and 3 year summer counselor

@littyman123 I just want to mention to you and everyone that Chance Me threads are useless, but in a good way. The belief that your scores, extra curriculars, and everything that you worked for so far alone is what gets you into college is not correct. Heck, I found out I got a 32 on the final ACT I took, and I am not sending it to Dartmouth for consideration. No, it is who you are and what you represent in your application that will get you in. The college application is holistic, it doesn’t need an individuals self satisfaction in a public website to evaluate you. Also, you are applying to a public school with high stats and will pay out of state tuition. Another post somewhere describes the school constantly aiming for ACT scores in the 30-36 range. Figure it out. Chance Me threads are ego boosters, nothing more or less. It is what you bring to the school that matters at the very end. Consider the averages of a schools scores as a guideline.

when the admissions people are calculating your unweighted gpa do they just include core classes (maths, sciences, english, etc) or do they include classes such as art, theology(required by my school all four years), etc?

@kollege50105 I would assume everything unless they state otherwise.

The recalculated academic high school GPA doesn’t include religion and gym classes and possibly others.

so @Madison85 you are thinking English, Math, Sci, Social Studies, Foreign Language for the recalculated GPA?

My GPA on my transcript included Gym classes and everything else.

Yes, but UW-Madison recalculates it by removing some courses and removing any special weighting.

A note- in the US the abbreviation is math without the s.

They only care that you sent it to them before the deadline, not that they receive it before the deadline

Do you guys think there will be a wave of acceptances tonight?

My friend’s mom found something from the Badger Parent page on Facebook and the response was “Now that UW_Madison has switched to the Common Application, the first round of admission notifications for the Fall of 2017 won’t come out until the end of January.” So, based on that, I’m not sure. I hope it’s sooner.