UW Madison Fall 2016 Transfer Thread.

@hhnnmm35 Actually your application is strong!! I think you stand a really good chance!!

Got accepted for summer term as a visiting student, not exactly impressive but hey, I get to go to Madison at least a small portion of my college career regardless if I’m accepted for fall, so I’m pretty pumped :smiley:

Would anyone be able to help me out here. I may apply late, or I may apply for the Spring 2017 semester. I’m from Illinois
-3.645 GPA in Electrical Engineering first semester
-Took Calc 3, Physics 1 with Calc, Psych, and a few filler classes
-Deans list, phi eta sigma honor society
-club baseball
-32 ACT
-4.24 GPA out of high school
-Varsity baseball high school
-Accepted out of high school
-AP Credit for English, physics B, Calc 1 and 2
What’s my chances of being accepted to transfer? Should I wait till Spring 2017 transfer or apply late for the Fall 2016? I really don’t have much in terms of EC and my college GPA isn’t the highest.

@austriken The deadline for Fall 2016 has passed. You’re only option at this point is to apply for Spring.

@Natalie278 Hey congrats!! :smiley:

@Tumpraong haha thanks! I have a place to live for the summer already (through friends), so all that’s left is to enroll before the slots fill with students hopefully. I also turn 21 in late June, so I’m pretty excited to go to bars and enjoy the Madison nightlife :slight_smile:

possible decisions tomorrow??? hmmmm…

@Abartolone as I stated to you previously, unlikely. Earliest decision I heard from last year was March 27th.

I know someone who heard back the last week of February last year and someone who heard back first weekend of March. So I think the decisions could really come at anytime.

austriken- a college gpa of 3.6 is great. Remember college grades are likely to be lower than HS. If you got in earlier and have a good gpa you are likely to get in as a transfer. You need to meet deadlines and decide which available semester works best for you. You may decide to finish math/science sequences at your current school because transferring into the middle of the UW version could mean not having the same background knowledge as current students for the class.

Okay. I’m just super nervous. I don’t have many ECs and only one high school recommendation. Anyone hear of people getting accepted after the deadline though? I spoke with a counselor and they said as long as it lets me apply and I do it quickly I still have an opportunity to get in the Fall semester. Anyone hear similar stories about this? Any positive luck?

I’ve never heard of them accepting an application after the deadline has passed. You don’t know unless you try though.

Go for it- this weekend! I have heard a bit in years past UW CC forums about transfer deadlines being a bit flexible.

Yes. Just go for it. You don’t lose anything right? :slight_smile:

Hi all!
I applied to transfer to madison from UW fond du lac, a two year school. Im a freshman this year and got a 3.8 in the fall semester. I got a 3.2 in high school and I didn’t have any letters of recommendation. What are my chances of getting in for the fall semester?

Your college gpa counts much more than your HS one. It looks like you can do college work. I assume you will have at least 24 credits and a comparable gpa again this spring- then it looks good. Keep studying. All you can do is wait and see.

To anyone worrying about applying late, I did and they said I still have a chance. The only thing is that you can’t appeal your decision or defer admission if you applied late. Other than that, if you’re competitive enough, you should be okay! Although, y’all are making me kind of nervous for my own chances. Here are my stats:

Applying as an in-state resident, transferring from University of Minnesota - Twin Cities to the Gender and Women Studies Department at UW.
GPA: 3.2 (upward trend - really rough start due to health problems)
Credits: 51 plus 19 in progress (current 2nd semester sophomore)
HS GPA: 3.6
ACT: 28
ECs: University Senate - Social Concerns Committee Member, Writer at Women’s Center Blog, Race, Indigeneity, Gender, and Sexuality (RIGS) Initiative (heavy involvement), and working as an account executive within the Gender, Women, and Sexuality Department for CLAgency, a student-run public relations agency. I don’t have many, but I’m really involved with the activities I do have. I work 20 hours a week, participate in these different organizations, and I’m taking 19 credits at the same time. I also included my involvement in a transitional home development group from my hometown in which I served as a chairperson for 8 months before college. Amidst all of this, I’m also dealing with several health issues.

I’ve also made close ties already in GWS at UW. What do you guys think of my chances?

Well I’m sorry for the misinformation! I believed UW would be stricter about their deadlines, maybe its different since we’re applying as transfer.

I’ve been told by admission advisors that those deadlines aren’t that strict and I know people who have gotten in after applying late, so all you can do is try I don’t think it will hurt your chances!

I am also hoping to go to UW Madison in the fall! I know that my stats do not look very impressive, but I am at UW Eau Claire this year and need a change. Madison is also my home so I know I love it there.

-39 credits after spring 2016 semester
-24 ACT
-3.41 college GPA (looking better this semester, closer to 3.8)
-3.4 HS GPA
-1 extra curricular in college along with continuing as a serious figure skater
-4 HS extra curriculars including varsity tennis, model UN, art club, and musicals (again along with being a very competitive skater)
-3 employers
-1 letter of recommendation from coach/employer/UW Madison alumni
-my mom earned her bachelor’s and master’s degree from Madison
-what I think to be two really strong essays, with a focus on skating and needing to be in the madison area to continue skating and coaching

I sent in my application late January and cannot stop thinking about it, so be honest and let me know what you think!