Virginia Tech Regular Decision Thread

Thanks. My D was offered a VT scholars and I was wondering if it was renewable or not.

OOS and no scholarship here either.

No scholarships for my son. OOS, College of Engineering, ACT: 29, SAT: 1330, GPA: 4.57/ Unweighted: 3.81.

Received the $5,500 loan, with $3,500 subsidized. EFC=29k.

Not surprised, just reporting as info for others.

OOS NJ 30 ACT/1400 SAT/ 4.36 weighted
Ut Prosim scholarship $5000 but doesn’t give details of the scholarship in the link.
Not enough $ to consider VT when comparing to merit from UConn, UDel honors, Temple

@3XImpossible I think that we don’t get all of the relevant information on this board when people post, so it seems to be all over the place. I noticed from some of the honors invites that declared major appears to be a significant factor. Other things that may not be stated in the posts are demographics, whether someone is pursuing the Corps, financial need, extracurriculars, essays, etc. These decisions are clearly not just based on SAT/ACT and GPA.

DS was not admitted to first choice COE but instead second choice in business. OOS $5500 in loans offered, no merit. He loved the campus and labs when we visited last spring and reached out to admissions to show continued interest. Essays reflected specifically his love of the university and commitment to be a Hokie. His numbers are SAT1460, ACT 32 3.8 unweighted, 11 AP classes and broad range of in depth leadership, athletic and service experience. Sadly with not being accepted into COE he will not be a Hokie but happily he will attend Ohio State with honors and merit.

Would someone please post a screen shot of their award as posted on the VT Application status page?

@NJEngDad I don’t see how to post a picture. I would say that when you are on the page called “View Application Summary”, down in the Application Data section, subsection “Decision”, it says “Acceptance” in the second column. To the right of the column that has “Acceptance”, there is a big box, with a small red flag and the big words “Financial Aid”. In that box there are two links to pages that show the awards and explain them.

Thanks!!

IS honors college invitee and I received no scholarships

Did any international applicants receive any scholarships? If so, where can you see it? (I didn’t apply for financial aid)

@fl1234 Thanks for the great description. My DD’s screen doesn’t have that far right box–there is not click through to financial aid. We didn’t submit a FAFSA because we don’t anticipate qualifying for any financial aid. Does that mean that any and all merit aid is also off the table? Did anyone no submit a FAFSA but does see the financial aid click through button?

Very disappointed with VT. Seemed like it was a school my son could get into and get a merit scholarship based on his GPA, his scores, his extracurricular activities etc. My son did get in, but as University Studies, with no merit. VT seemed to “sell” their school differently to us when we visited. If you read their brochures they make it appear most get aid. I don’t get it!

@outthedoor Same here. Please let me know if you find out anything.

Agreed! We were happy for our son to get admitted to CoE but then received no aid. We thought VT gave some financial aid? Our EFC is $15k. We are OOS so it would cost 40k. That’s a $25k void to fill and I’m ready to fill some of it but wow. His stats: 34 ACT 3.9 GPA. In state we have Pitt (that gave a very small merit $2k award but no aid) and Penn State (also gave nothing). So far Pitt is the best price coming in at $28k. Penn State is close. But VT was a waste of the application fee it seems. And we need every dime!

@outthedoor I don’t know whether you have to complete the FAFSA to be eligible for scholarships at VT. My counselor said to fill it out and send to all schools even if you know you will not qualify for need based aid. Must say that it hasn’t resulted in anything, so not sure it matters.

@mathminded Penn State has a great Engineering school! Good for your son! Good Luck to him!

No merit scholarship for my son. Congrats to those who got it.

I totally agree , and am feeling confused and conflicted about the way some of these determinations were made. It almost seems random…I think VT has taken the term “holistic review” to a whole other level!